Epic foodie experiences from coffee to dinner Monday to Saturday at the African Relish ...
10 Questions For: Kyle Petersen
This Cape Town-born artist is a man of many talents. In addition to being a keyboardist and vocalist, Kyle Petersen is also the singer for the band ‘Life’.
1. How would you describe what you do for a living?
I am an artist, live and studio producer, keyboardist and vocalist. I have been fortunate enough to travel the world performing and using my talents to live my dream of expressing myself through music.
2. What is your most vivid childhood memory?
The first time I ever stepped onto a proper theatre stage. I was singing in the rock musical Evita at the Artscape Theatre. I fell in love with the stage at that moment and have never looked back since.
3. If you could invite any three people, dead or alive, for dinner, who would they be and why?
1. Michael Jackson – He is one of my heroes. He pushed the limits of what was possible, not only musically, but also in terms of what a live show could become. He was a pioneer. A genius of our time.
2. Nelson Mandela – A man of such integrity, compassion and grace. I would love to spend a few hours with him as to better understand his views on life and how we should approach challenges as humans.
3. Elon Musk – A visionary of our time. The work he is doing is changing the way we will live our futures on this planet. He never stops – always innovating and exceeding the expectations of what we thought was possible. I love engaging with people like him – we can learn so much from their approach and infectious optimism.
4. If you ever found yourself auditioning for a music reality TV show, what song would you sing and why?
I would, more than likely, perform one of my own songs. And I would do that for two reasons. Firstly the judges wouldn’t be able to compare my performance of the song to the original artist. Secondly, I would be able to perform it with all the emotion that I felt at the time of writing the song.
5. How would you complete this sentence? The South African cabinet should include a Minister of _____________
6. What would you say is the biggest misconception about you?
That I’m an extrovert. I’m actually a very shy person but on stage my alter ego takes over and then I become Kyle the performer.
7. What is your (honest) opinion of Cape Town?
I’ve been very fortunate to visit loads of countries all over the world. Nothing is as beautiful as Cape Town…nothing. And it’s not just the physical beauty of this place, it’s the warmth and energy of the people who live here. It’s totally understandable why it’s been voted the most beautiful city in the world for five years running now.
8. What’s the greatest fear you’ve had to overcome to get where you are today?
Well, I used to think that if I made a mistake on stage during a performance that the end of the world would suddenly be here and my life would cease to exist. Getting over that was difficult but it has made all the difference. Many performers struggle with that fear initially but life carries on. We move forward, we learn, we grow and become more awesome. Self-belief is the key.
9. What’s the one thing you’d like to achieve before you die?
I’d like to take an artist who has an amazing talent but who may not have the financial means to explore that talent and give him or her a chance to fulfill their dreams. I’m happy with all that I have achieved so far. I love music and I have had a very successful career thus far. I would love to go on and achieve even greater things but the opportunity to give back, to help someone…that would mean even more to me.
10. Which well- known South African personality would you , without a doubt, be able to beat in a one-on- one dance-off and why?
Barry Hilton because I have the moves like Jagger.
CapeTownMagazine.com’s 10 Questions project gets to know some of the Mother City’s most creative and inspiring people. From television personalities and musicians to politicians and entrepreneurs, we find out more about well-known and up-and-coming Capetonians. You can follow #CapeTownMag10Q on Twitter and Facebook to track recent interviews or read more here about our other awesome 10 Questions candidates.
A FEW OF OUR OTHER 10Q CANDIDATES:
10 Questions For Cape Town-based DJ Ready D
10 Questions For Cape Town-based Artist Wandile Mbambeni
Join our mission to give SA’s newest viral music sensation a big break by getting a gig for Naelon Andrews.
Looking for some other really awesome Mother City artists and tracks? Here are 21 of the Greatest Songs to Come Out of Cape Town in the Last Four Decades. Also, don't forget to check out our Jukebox Section!
Check out our events section for an up-to-date overview of happenings in Cape Town. Also, don’t forget to subscribe to our newsletter and if you have a smartphone, addm.capetownmagazine.com to your home screen for quick access on the go!
Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook, join our Google+ circle, connect with us onLinkedIn, check out our photos on Instagram and follow our Pinterest boards for updates on what’s happening in and around the Mother City!