See Robin Auld, The Native Young, Craig Lucas and more live at Café Roux this month
10 Last-minute Valentine’s Day Ideas
They’ll never guess you didn’t plan this months ago
Last Update 4 February 2020
Valentine’s Day can come with a lot of pressure, especially if you’ve left planning to the last minute. Cape Town is geared for romance, with its incredible foodie scene, stunning beaches, luxe accommodation, and of course, the mountains, forests, and ocean surrounding the city on all sides. Relax and rest assured your date will be impressed with one of these 10 Valentine’s Day ideas.
1. There are innumerable advantages to staying in on Valentine’s Day: lower costs, more privacy, and (need we mention) you’ll be closer to the bedroom in case things work out well. *wink*. Stay home, team up, and prepare some delicious Valentine’s Day recipes.
2. Of course, not everyone is a master in the kitchen. Play it safe at one of Cape Town’s most romantic restaurants.
3. Everyone knows endorphins are key. Want your Valentine to be out of breath with a racing heart and weak knees? Take them on one of the Cape Town’s magical hiking trails, like Lions Head.
4. Perhaps a hike sounds a little energetic for you? Sometimes, you just want to kick back with bae, with a great view and delicious drink. You’ll find at least one place to love in from this lineup of 13 intimate weekend getaways in the Western Cape
5. Dinner-and-a-show is a timeless classic when it comes to dating, and Cape Town’s theatre scene has something for everyone, just about every night of the year. Valentine’s Day is no different: treat your date to a show at one of Cape Town’s coolest theatres.
6. Cape Town’s many beaches are great for Valentine’s picnics, and it’s hard to go wrong at any of them. At Oudekraal, there are braai and picnic facilities, plus a sheltered cover for swimming. The Milkwood trees and boulders provide some privacy from other beach-goers. Soak up the sun, sand, surf, and smooches at OudeKraal.
7. Valentine’s Day is a little far away from payday, as many of us are keenly aware right now. Play your cards right and your date won’t even notice you planned a whole day without spending a cent: there are some truly magical things to do for free in Cape Town.
8. Having kids doesn’t mean romance is dead. It just means you have to be a little more creative. Whether you’re looking for somewhere to send the kids so you can get some alone time, or planning an activity for the whole family to enjoy together, there are plenty of things to keep kids busy.
9. Valentine’s Day is on a Friday this year. You can’t go wrong taking your date somewhere really nice for a drink to start the evening. You’ll find great views, killer cocktails, tasty snacks, and in some cases even a pool to cool off in at Cape Town’s classiest rooftop bars.
10. If you prefer for the organising to be out of your hands, there are dozens of deals, specials, dinners, parties, and other things to do for the whole Valentine’s weekend. Your evening will ooze romance - without you having to lift a finger - if you attend one of the city’s special Valentine’s Day events.
If you are looking for a romantic place to dine or to stay over, read more about things to do on Valentine’s Day.
Whether a first date or a 50th anniversary, we have plenty of fun date ideas.
Find a lovely gift for your other half with these romantic gift ideas in Cape Town.
Use our events section for an up-to-date overview of what’s happening in the city, suburbs and dorpies. Join our newsletter and add us to your mobile home screen for the ultimate guide to discoveries in Cape Town.