Nominate it for the Small Business Spotlight Initiative to help it grow
Apple and Camembert pie
Suzanne Himely adds savoury French to this classic dessert
Owner of The Fabulous Friday French Market, Suzanne Himely, has given the traditional apple pie a savoury, French twist, by adding soft and creamy Camembert. Serve it hot with a draft of cider or a glass of wooded chenin blanc.
250g of thinly sliced French Camembert (South African will do too)
1 readymade flaky or puff pastry
4 tart apples (Granny Smith)
1. Preheat the oven to 180 degrees
2. Peel the apples and cut into quarters.
3. Fry apples in butter for one minute on each side.
4. Cut out two rounds of pastry the size of a dessert plate.
5. Place one piece of pastry on a prepared baking sheet.
6. Place the apple wedges onto this pastry.
7. Arrange the slices of Camembert on top of the apples.
8. Cover with the other half of the pastry on top.
9. Moisten the edges with water and press the edges together to seal well.
10. Bake in preheated oven for 15 minutes.
“Bon appétit,” says Suzanne.
The Fabulous Friday French Market
Alliance Français | 155 Loop Street | City Centre | Cape Town | +27 (0)83 300 6725
For more inspiring and mouth-watering recipes from across the globe, be sure to check out our recipes section.
Subscribe to our newsletter, follow us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter.