Benedict Breakfast every Sunday at Pear Tree
10 Questions for: Danilo Acquisto
Vivacious and passionate, Danilo Acquisto wears many hats with ease. With his infectious energy, unrivalled talent and ability to make you take note and listen it’s no surprise that everything he touches turns to gold. Find this multidisciplined man presenting SABC3’s Afternoon Express and Goodhope FM’s the #MusicLab.
1. How would you describe what you do for a living?
I’m an entertainer. I present a live TV show on SABC3 called Afternoon Express and I host my weekend shows on Good Hope FM called the #MusicLab. I also MC a lot and have a few entrepreneurial ventures on the side.
2. What is your most vivid childhood memory?
I will never forget the cute combined birthdays my brother and I used to have. With home-made pizzas, a themed cake and camping in the yard - I have the most incredible family! Such fun!
3. If you could invite any three people, dead or alive, for dinner, who would they be and why?
1. St. Francis of Assisi - He’s such a pivotal player in the world of faith and was such a great example of someone who actively lived out their calling. Someone who gave up all he had to better understand the less fortunate - I share his heart and would love to pick his brain.
2. Ryan Seacrest - That man is what I want to be one day. He’s so young, driven, smart, funny and has pioneered so many avenues in media yet remained so relaxed and calm. Oh and I’d also ask him for a job.
3. Pope Francis - You would imagine that all the loud mouths (Trump et al) are the change makers, but boy-oh-boy, Pope Francis is reforming and changing lives in drastic ways. I’d love for him to provide some wisdom and guidance on matters of faith, politics, mercy and forgiveness - things that I really struggle to grapple with.
4. If you ever found yourself auditioning for a music reality TV show, what song would you sing and why?
The Lion King’s, ‘Circle of Life’. Firstly because no one would see it coming - a white kid singing in vernacular - and secondly because no one knows the lyrics yet they all know what emotions it evokes in them. I think if that wasn’t enough for the judges to love me, then the epic nature of the back-track would save me. It’s such a powerful song and reminds me of my love for my country and nature.
5. How would you complete this sentence? The South African cabinet should include a Minister of _____________________.
Peace. Seriously though. Don’t laugh it off. I think if there were a minister of peace that had the authority to ensure that peaceful resolutions are come to, our country would be such a different place - it would prevent this process of justice (where everyone feels their right is more important than the others’ and sets the goal to bring about peace). That would be pretty epic.
6. What would you say is the biggest misconception about you?
Hmm… this is a hard one as I haven’t gone and asked what people’s understandings of me are. I think on the quirky side, that somehow the biggest misconception of me is that I work on Expresso (the morning show on SABC3). People stop me often and say things like “Hey Mr Expresso” or “I love you on Expresso” or “I always watch Expresso in the afternoon”.But on the serious side I think my quirky personality and my work in the media has created this perception that I am a ‘fake’ Christian or that I am somehow unintelligent when in fact my law degree and work in ministry should be a constant reminder.
7. What is your (honest) opinion of Cape Town?
I love the Mother City. Most people hate the windy and wet weather, I don’t. Yes, it is cliquey and highly segregated, but I honestly think that makes it such a playing ground for growth and innovation. She’s proved to be a city that can thrive and she’s proven that creative innovation can start here. I think Cape Town is an incredible city with loads of possibilities. Oh and with all my travels of the world, she is one of the most scenic places you can ever be in, and I get to call this home!
8. What's the greatest fear you've had to overcome to get where you are today?
I think it’s the fear of never being good enough. In my industry, you will never be good enough - you will always not have enough of a body, be enough on TV, have enough money, have great hair, be stylish etc. I constantly have to remind myself that I am enough - talented enough and I have enough love for what I do. The rest is either coming from haters wanting to be you or it is you that you need to learn to embrace. I think it’s something you practice every day.
9. What's the one thing you'd like to achieve before you die?
I’d love to see my impact felt - through a project (business or NPO) that has given people the opportunity to become the best version of themselves and left knowing they have been impacted.
10. Which well- known South African personality would you, without a doubt, be able to beat in a one-on-one dance-off and why?
I think this question should have been posed to every other celeb because my name would pop up every time - I am a terrible dancer. But the one celeb I know who is probably as bad as I am, because I have seen him in action, is Gareth Cliff.
CapeTownMagazine.com’s 10 Questions project gets to know some of the Mother City’s most creative and inspiring people. From television personalities and musicians to politicians and entrepreneurs, we find out more about well-known and up-and-coming Capetonians. You can follow #CapeTownMag10Q on Twitter and Facebook to track recent interviews or read more here about our other awesome 10 Questions candidates.
A FEW OF OUR OTHER 10Q CANDIDATES:
10 Questions For Cape Town-based Sports Reporter Amy Samuels
10 Questions For Cape Town-based Radio Presenter Tammy B Awesome
Check out our events section for an up-to-date overview of happenings in Cape Town. Also, don’t forget to subscribe to our newsletter and if you have a smartphone, add m.capetownmagazine.com to your home screen for quick access on the go!
Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook, join our Google+ circle, connect with us on LinkedIn, check out our photos on Instagram and follow our Pinterest boards for updates on what’s happening in and around the Mother City