From the pet-friendly Stanford Hills to a camp located on a large fishing dam in Limpopo
10 Awe-Inspiring Videos of Cape Town
A selection of stunning drone footage and spectacular time-lapse creations showing the Mother City in all her glory
Cape Town’s beauty is undeniable. From glorious peaks and valleys to stunning beaches and oceans, the Mother City’s attractions are amongst the most beautiful and well-known in the world.
And while there are some popular vantage points from which to take in all the aesthetic splendour of our pretty city – from atop Table Mountain or aboard a kayak on the Atlantic Ocean, for example – the sites are only seen from specific angles and, of course, in real time.
Enter technology and the adventurous people who use it to create awe-inspiring videos of Cape Town.
More specifically, of course, we’re talking about some of the most popular drone and time-lapse visuals that ordinary citizens have put together to capture our seaside metropolis from incredible angles and over sped up time frames.
BEST DRONE VIDEOS OF CAPE TOWN
1. With stunning bird’s-eye views of Clifton Beach and Camps Bay and incredible panning shots of Signal Hill and Boulders Beach, this beautiful drone video undoubtedly captures the world-class beauty of some of Cape Town’s most pristine spots.
2. Originally shot for the Dutch magazine LINDA, this aerial artwork beautifully showcases the splendour of Cape Town. The video features everything from visuals of the bucolic Winelands and colourful Bo-Kaap suburb to people quad biking on dunes and surfing in the ocean.
3. Capturing more than just the usual tourist-y hotspots, this swooping spectacle also covers Cape Town’s largest township, Khayelitsha. What’s more, it gets up close and personal with some of the residents, which makes this video particularly engaging.
4. Check out gorgeous Camps Bay from almost every angle in this visual ode to the glamorous beach, shot during the magic hour when the sun slips below the horizon and everything is awash in golden hues.
5. Captured by American photographer Eric Cheng over a week in August 2015, this aerial video of Cape Town will definitely take your breath away. Footage includes Great White sharks from above at Seal Island, a school of spotted gully sharks in the surf near Cape Point and Table Mountain National Park. Another highlight is the Bos 400 shipwreck, which ran aground two decades ago off the coast of Duiker Point.
BEST TIME-LAPSE VIDEOS OF CAPE TOWN
6. Cape Town’s hotshot Iger Mike Eloff is not only adept at capturing the beauty of the Mother City in still images, he is also skilled at creating time-lapse videos that encapsulate its aesthetic appeal. Case in point is this incredible compilation of Cape Town sunsets and sunrises, where the rolling clouds paint a constantly changing picture.
7. Thunder and lightning are rare occurrences in the Mother City, which makes this time-lapse by photographer, filmmaker and adrenalin junkie Brendon Wainwright all the more electrifying.
8. Brendon Wainwright is also responsible for creating this epic video stitched together from 6240 still images that capture the incredible movement of clouds and fog in Cape Town. Wainwright has an eye for the unusual: from the eerie ribbons of fog hovering above skyscrapers in the city to a bank of fog sliding over Signal Hill into the City Bowl.
9. Clouds furiously dancing down Table Mountain, cars zipping around town at night and an epic sunrise all feature in Alexcpt Photography’s awesome time-lapse video of Cape Town.
10. This time-lapse video by photographer Eric Nathan was taken from Lion’s Head looking down into the City Bowl and out towards the Northern Suburbs shows what Cape Town looks like from sunset to moonrise.
For more stunning videos of the Mother City, check out the 100 Best Videos of Cape Town. Submit a video and you could win a helicopter flight during 2017.
Don’t forget to follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook, join our Google+ circle and check out our Pinterest boards for updates. Not to mention, subscribe to our newsletter to keep up to date with what's hip and happening in our pretty city.