Travel, eat, drink with friends in a vibey kombi, driver included (20% off price)
10 Questions For: Theodora Lee
Known by her fans for being “honourably open” when talking about awkward topics, Theo – as she prefers to be called – has a YouTube channel where she tackles coming-of-age issues that educate and inspire hundreds of thousands of teenagers across the globe. What’s more, in 2015 Theo won Best YouTube Channel at the African Blogger Awards and was a finalist for Best African Blogger at the 2016 Nickelodeon Kids’ Choice Awards.
1. How would you describe what you do for a living?
I create content for the internet and spend a fair amount of time alone talking to a camera. Technically, I’m a copywriter at King James Group and I run my own YouTube channel that offers advice to young adults.
2. What is your most vivid childhood memory?
Swimming out to the middle of a lake in KwaZulu-Natal with my brother and friends to take turns to see who could dive down and reach the bottom. Nobody ever did!
3. If you could invite any three people, dead or alive, for dinner, who would they be and why?
1. Taylor Swift. I’m a bit obsessed with her and I feel like we would get on like two twenty-somethings who have everything and nothing in common.
2. My grandmother. I never got to meet her and I am told she was the most intelligent and wonderful person to talk about life with.
3. My brother, Caspar. Because I’m sure he’d like to meet our grandmother too.
4. If you ever found yourself auditioning for a music reality TV show, what song would you sing and why?
‘You’ve Got the Love’ by Florence + the Machine because it’s the only song I’ve ever tried to learn. I actually sung it for a theatre audition once, but they stopped me halfway and I subsequently never got the part. Maybe I should aim for something that requires less range and can actually be sung by somebody who is semi tone deaf? Haha.
5. How would you complete this sentence? The South African cabinet should include a Minister of _____________________________.
Random Public Holidays Where Everyone Is Given Free Ice Cream.
6. What would you say is the biggest misconception about you?
I always try to keep things real, so I like to hope people don’t have too many misconceptions. I suppose some people might think my career has come only through luck. Of course there’s luck, but to get to where I am I’ve had to put in a lot of blood, sweat and tears, just like anybody who chases their dreams.
7. What is your (honest) opinion of Cape Town?
I really do think it’s the best city in the world. I’ve been to a lot of places, but nothing matches its eclectic culture and wondrous landscape. I’ve only been here for a few years, but it’s home.
8. What's the greatest fear you've had to overcome to get where you are today?
The fear of being labelled “Caspar Lee’s sister”. [Caspar Lee is a YouTube personality, vlogger and actor. You might recognise him from his role in Spud 3: Learning to Fly.] Even though I love being Caspar’s sister (he’s awesome), I want to be known for my own work. I realised that even with the label, hard work would push me to become my own brand.
9. What's the one thing you'd like to achieve before you die?
Write a book.
10. Which well-known South African personality would you, without a doubt, be able to beat in a street fight and why?
Katlego Maboe because he’s such a nice guy he’d let me win anything, even an arm wrestle.
Image Credit: Michael Le Grange
CapeTownMagazine.com’s 10 Questions project gets to know some of the Mother City’s most creative and inspiring people. From television personalities and musicians to politicians and entrepreneurs, we find out more about well-know and up-and-coming Capetonians. You can follow #CapeTownMag10Q on Twitter and Facebook to track recent interviews or read more here about our other awesome 10 Questions candidates.
A FEW OF OUR OTHER 10Q CANDIDATES:
10 Questions For YouTube Marketer, Professional Geek and Gaming Guru Grant Hinds
10 Questions For Celebrity Chef and TV Personality Jenny Morris
Check out our events section for an up-to-date overview of happenings in Cape Town. Also, don’t forget to subscribe to our newsletter and if you have a smartphone, add m.capetownmagazine.com to your home screen for quick access on the go!
Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook, join our Google+ circle, connect with us on LinkedIn, check out our photos on Instagram and follow our Pinterest boards for updates on what’s happening in and around the Mother City!