E-bike between vineyards with stops for wine, cheese, and chocolate truffles
10 Questions For: Grant Hinds
YouTube marketer, professional geek and gaming guru Grant Hinds is the video games and tech contributor on South African TV shows Top Billing, Expresso, Tech Report and Hectic Nine 9. He is also the video games contributing editor for GQ magazine and a GoodHope FM radio personality. What’s more, recently his YouTube channel reached one million views – an accolade only a few South Africans have achieved.
1. How would you describe what you do for a living?
I'm a YouTuber whose focus is on video games content.
2. What is your most vivid childhood memory?
Saturday mornings playing Street Fighter 2 with my brother and a bowl of cereal before my parents woke up.
3. If you could invite any three people, dead or alive, for dinner, who would they be and why?
1. Jesus – I have a million questions I would like to ask him.
2. GK Chesterton – It sounds like he would've been the life of the party.
3. Martin Luther King Jr. – I think a lot of what he had to say and what he fought for is still very relevant today.
4. If you ever found yourself auditioning for a music reality TV show, what song would you sing and why?
Haha! I'd rap something and get them to include hip hop as a category! We need a hip hop Idols...
5. How would you complete this sentence? The South African cabinet should include a Minister of____________.
6. What would you say is the biggest misconception about you?
Most of the misconceptions about me are misconceptions about gamers in general; loner, lazy, introverted, etc. I am, in fact, very much the opposite and think gamers are generally misunderstood by sections of old-school or traditional media.
7. What is your (honest) opinion of Cape Town?
I love Cape Town but, honestly, having travelled to different parts of the country, I feel it's a very segregated city that hasn't evolved past a lot of normalised apartheid infrastructure. We're getting there but the way the city is structured is non-inclusive, business owners are white and hire mostly white people. We need a dramatic change in racial economic justice and that requires the wealthy white populace to learn other languages, hire for social betterment and culture shock ourselves to see how the rest of the country are living and what's important to them. I believe we can do it!
8. What's the greatest fear you've had to overcome to get where you are today?
Public scrutiny I suppose. It's a powerful thing and YouTube is full of poisonous sentiments. Climbing over those and just making my content better has really helped.
9. What's the one thing you'd like to achieve before you die?
I can't think of anything really! This was it, to have a thriving YouTube channel and it's happening. I'm very happy!
10. Which well-known South African personality would you, without a doubt, be able to beat in a street fight and why?
Katlego Maboe. Yoh! Kat, if you're reading this, showdown is OOOONNNNN!!! Then we'll take it to the FIFA pitch.
A FEW OF GRANT'S YOUTUBE VIDEOS:
GRANT HANGING OUT WITH A FEW OF OUR OTHER 10Q CANDIDATES:
Grant and Marc Lottering
Grant and Jack Parow
Grant and Jo-Ann Strauss
Grant and Katlego Maboe
Image Credit: Dirk Pieters and Grant Hinds
CapeTownMagazine.com’s 10 Questions project gets to know some of the Mother City’s most creative and inspiring people. From television personalities and musicians to politicians and entrepreneurs, we find out more about well-known and up-and-coming Capetonians. You can follow #CapeTownMag10Q on Twitter and Facebook to track recent interviews or read more here about our other awesome 10 Questions candidates.
Check out our events section for an up-to-date overview of happenings in Cape Town. Also, don’t forget to subscribe to our newsletter and if you have a smartphone, add m.capetownmagazine.com to your home screen for quick access on the go!
Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook, join our Google+ circle, connect with us on LinkedIn, check out our photos on Instagram and follow our Pinterest boards for updates on what’s happening in and around the Mother City!