What would you do if you'd been given two hours and 15 fun things to do?
10 Questions For: Michael de Beer
Meet the co-founder of Newkidz on The Block, an NGO that finds loving homes for orphans and upgrades children’s homes, foster family accommodation, shelters for abused women and children and ECD training centres in vital need of repair and upliftment.
1. How would you describe what you do for a living?
I fundraise to help children who don't have families find loving families
2. What is your most vivid childhood memory?
Making my sister jump off the garage roof with an umbrella to see if she would float to the ground....or maybe I should say "the hiding I got" after.
3. If you could invite any three people, dead or alive, for dinner, who would they be and why?
1. Nelson Mandela - to ask him how his character was not tainted by his fellow prison inmates.
2. Mother Theresa- to ask her how she kept herself motivated to not give up.
3. Jacob Zuma - to try and influence him to support organisations who promote adoption (amongst other things).
4. If you ever found yourself auditioning for a music reality TV show, what song would you sing and why?
Today I don't feel like doing anything - Bruno Mars ... because I'm tired ;)
5. How would you complete this sentence? The South African cabinet should include a Minister of _____________.
6. What would you say is the biggest misconception about you?
That I'm a pushover and easily manipulated.
7. What is your (honest) opinion of Cape Town?
Best city in the world!!
8. What's the greatest fear you've had to overcome to get where you are today?
My fear of rejection and asking people to help.
9. What's the one thing you'd like to achieve before you die?
I would like to see a movement in South Africa start forming where more and more people adopt millions of orphans in South Africa
10. Which well-known South African personality would you, without a doubt, be able to beat in a street fight and why?
Marc Lottering, because his hair would get in the way.
CapeTownMagazine.com’s 10 Questions project gets to know some of the Mother City’s most creative and inspiring people. From television personalities and musicians to politicians and entrepreneurs, we find out more about well-known and up-and-coming Capetonians. You can follow #CapeTownMag10Q on Twitter and Facebook to track recent interviews or read more here about our other awesome 10 Questions candidates.
A FEW OF OUR OTHER 10Q CANDIDATES:
10 Questions For Comedian Dalin Oliver
10 Questions For Pop Singer and Songwriter Jimmy Nevis
Here are a couple places where you can Give Back and Volunteer in Cape Town.
Check out our events section for an up-to-date overview of happenings in Cape Town. Also, don’t forget to subscribe to our newsletter and if you have a smartphone, add m.capetownmagazine.com to your home screen for quick access on the go!
Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook, join our Google+ circle, connect with us on LinkedIn, check out our photos on Instagram and follow our Pinterest boards for updates on what’s happening in and around the Mother City!