Can our local teams earn their place in the 2020 Tokyo Olympics? And will South ...
10 Questions For: Dalin Oliver
This Cape Town-based comedian delights audiences with his energetic brand of humour and wit. He’s been on Comedy Central and performed at the National Arts Festival and at the Baxter Theatre, and is fast becoming a familiar face on the country’s entertainment scene. He is also the sports presenter on Good Hope FM’s breakfast show every weekday morning.
1. How would you describe what you do for a living?
Sharing my thoughts about life and the world in what I would like to think is a humorous manner. (Rather boring response. Not really setting the bar high.)
2. What is your most vivid childhood memory?
Playing cricket and soccer in the streets with my friends from sunrise to sunset during the school holidays. The good old days before technology took over.
3. If you could invite any three people, dead or alive, for dinner, who would they be and why?
1. Hashim Amla – One of my heroes because of the way he goes about his business, even when the odds were stacked against him at the start of his career.
2. Bernie Mac – One of the Original Kings of Comedy. Need I say more?
3. Ashwin Willemse – Wow. What a legend. Going up against all odds and making a success of his rugby and post rugby career.
4. If you ever found yourself auditioning for a music reality TV show, what song would you sing and why?
I’d kick it with some old school Kris Kross ‘Jump’. Simply to wear my clothing back to front.
5. How would you complete this sentence? The South African cabinet should include a Minister of _____________________.
Car Guards and Beach Affairs for Penny Sparrow.
6. What would you say is the biggest misconception about you?
That I’m Portuguese, Dutch, Israeli, Greek, Jewish, Caucasian. The lost brother of Howard Wolowitz from The Big Bang Theory, Doug Funnie, Where’s Wally, Right Said Fred (‘I’m Too Sexy’ for my short), Vin Diesel and Stiaan from Parow.
7. What is your (honest) opinion of Cape Town?
One of the few destinations in the world where you have the opportunity to buy the majority of your household goods and electronic appliances at a traffic light. If you’re lucky, you’ll be able to do so on the train too.
8. What's the greatest fear you've had to overcome to get where you are today?
The price of petrol and its relationship with the rand. If I didn’t have the confidence to fill up my tank, I would not have made it to this coffee shop and emailed you my answers. Word.
9. What's the one thing you'd like to achieve before you die?
You’ve now got me thinking about death. Maybe rethink the question before I jump and hold you accountable. Honestly, conquer surfing. By conquer, I mean start standing on the board for more than 10 seconds.
10. Which well-known South African personality would you, without a doubt, be able to beat in a street fight and why?
I think I’m more likely to run away but I’m confident that I’d give [Noot vir Noot host] Johan Stemmet a run for his money. While crying on the floor, all he’d say is “Kyk hoe kyk hy vir my, kyk hoe kyk hy vir my”.
CapeTownMagazine.com’s 10 Questions project gets to know some of the Mother City’s most creative and inspiring people. From television personalities and musicians to politicians and entrepreneurs, we find out more about well-known and up-and-coming Capetonians. You can follow #CapeTownMag10Q on Twitter and Facebook to track recent interviews or read more here about our other awesome 10 Questions candidates.
A FEW OF OUR OTHER 10Q CANDIDATES:
10 Questions For South Africa’s First Black Woman Winemaker Ntsiki Biyela
Check out our events section for an up-to-date overview of happenings in Cape Town. Also, don’t forget to subscribe to our newsletter and if you have a smartphone, add m.capetownmagazine.com to your home screen for quick access on the go!
Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook, join our Google+ circle, connect with us on LinkedIn, check out our photos on Instagram and follow our Pinterest boards for updates on what’s happening in and around the Mother City!