3 ways to do it at Oasis: shop, donate or take your recycling there
10 Questions For: Marc Lottering
With over decade in the industry under his belt, the Cape Town-born performer and writer is one of the country’s most successful comedians
1. How would you describe what you do for a living?
I tell funny stories.
2. What is your most vivid childhood memory?
The smell of Black Nugget [shoe polish] on Bata Toughees.
3. If you could invite any three people, dead or alive, for dinner, who would they be and why?
1. Chef Reuben Riffel, because I think he's cool, and he would more than likely ask me if I minded terribly if he took over duties in my kitchen. Bonus!
2. Oprah Winfrey, because she is one of the most fascinating people on the planet, and I believe that she would totally adore me. (Moveover, Gayle King!)
3. Mi Casa. And I'm counting all three gents as one. You cannot throw a dinner party and not end up grooving to ‘JIKA MY BABY’, come on!
4. If you ever found yourself auditioning for a music reality TV show, what song would you sing and why?
Easy Peasy, Barry Manilow’s ‘I Write the Songs’ because my rendition (along with Barry) sounds awesome in my lounge every Sunday afternoon, and I believe that it's only fair that I share it with the world.
5. How would you complete this sentence?
The South African cabinet should include a Minister of_______.
Matric. The Minister of Matric's profile would be to ensure that everyone who's in a position of power has at least completed matric. For real.
6. What would you say is the biggest misconception about you?
That I am naturally good-looking. It's simply not true. It takes a lot of hard work and discipline to look the way I do.
7. What is your (honest) opinion of Cape Town?
The Most Beautiful City in the World. Everyone Capetonian should get a piece.
8. What's the greatest fear you've had to overcome to get where you are today?
That audiences won't get me. That's still a very real fear. But then I just close my eyes and focus on the cheque - and everything's ok.
9. What's the one thing you'd like to achieve before you die?
My life has been full of phenomenal surprises. And I know that there are probably more amazing things waiting for me. But I don't have a list. If I die tomorrow, I leave a very happy man.
10. Which well- known South African personality would you, without a doubt, be able to beat in a street fight and why?
Ha! Everyone knows that my martial arts skills are out of this world, which is why I always gently walk away from a street fight. I really don't want to humiliate anyone.
CapeTownMagazine.com’s 10 Questions project gets to know some of the Mother City’s most creative and inspiring people. From television personalities and musicians to politicians and entrepreneurs, we find out more about well-known and up-and-coming Capetonians. You can follow #CapeTownMag10Q on Twitter and Facebook to track recent interviews or read more here about our other awesome 10 Questions candidates.
A FEW OF OUR OTHER 10Q CANDIDATES:
10 Questions For ‘The Prince of One-liners’ Stand-up Comedian Yaaseen Barnes
10 Questions For Cape Town Creative Athi-Patra Ruga
Need a good laugh? Here are our Top Places to Watch Stand-up Comedy in Cape Town.
Check out our events section for an up-to-date overview of happenings in Cape Town. Also, don’t forget to subscribe to our newsletter and if you have a smartphone, add m.capetownmagazine.com to your home screen for quick access on the go!
Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook, join our Google+ circle, connect with us on LinkedIn, check out our photos on Instagram and follow our Pinterest boards for updates on what’s happening in and around the Mother City!