Tis the season for carols...
10 Questions For: Lola Nicholls
Meet passionate winemaker Lola Nicholls. Along with her husband, she owns and manages the boutique winery Mitre’s Edge, which is situated between Paarl and Stellenbosch.
1. How would you describe what you do for a living?
Together with my husband, we own and manage Mitre’s Edge vineyards, where I am the winemaker.
2. What is your most vivid childhood memory?
Every Sunday my dad would allow my brothers and I to taste three different wines, whilst he described them to us.
3. If you could invite any three people, dead or alive, for dinner, who would they be and why?
1. Bishop Tutu - For his wisdom and the link to mitre, in Mitre’s Edge.
2. Bear Grylls - For his adventurous side and his commitment to his family.
3. Sandra Bullock - For her ability to cheer people up and make them laugh.
4. If you ever found yourself auditioning for a music reality TV show, what song would you sing and why?
'Bonfire Heart' by James Blunt. Shortly after the song was released, we were on holiday with a close cousin and her family, from Australia and every time the song was played on the radio, we would sing along to it and it became our holiday theme song.
5. How would you complete this sentence? The South African cabinet should include a Minister of ___________________.
Truth and Reconciliation.
6. What would you say is the biggest misconception about you?
People misconstrue my shyness for aloofness.
7. What is your (honest) opinion of Cape Town?
It offers the biggest opportunity for me to embrace who I am. From the winelands to the beautiful beaches and majestic mountain. I love being outdoors.
8. What's the greatest fear you've had to overcome to get where you are today?
I started off making wine under the guidance of Norma Ratcliffe. She gave me the knowledge and mentorship to confidently start my own wine label. My fear was dispelled by my husband’s encouragement.
9. What's the one thing you'd like to achieve before you die?
I would be thrilled to see the Mitre’s Edge brand become a well recognised and loved South African wine. This would symbolise an incredible family legacy to be enjoyed for many generations.
10. Which well-known South African personality would you, without a doubt, be able to beat in a street fight and why?
I think that would have to be Scarra Ntubeni. He is too much of a gentleman to hit me back.
CapeTownMagazine.com’s 10 Questions project gets to know some of the Mother City’s most creative and inspiring people. From television personalities and musicians to politicians and entrepreneurs, we find out more about well-know and up-and-coming Capetonians. You can follow #CapeTownMag10Q on Twitter and Facebook to track recent interviews or read more here about our other awesome 10 Questions candidates.
A FEW OF OUR OTHER 10Q CANDIDATES:
10 Questions For Cape Town Cooking Heroine Fatima Sydow
10 Questions For SXOLLIE co-founder Laura Clacey
Check out our events section for an up-to-date overview of happenings in Cape Town. Also, don’t forget to subscribe to our newsletter and if you have a smartphone, add m.capetownmagazine.com to your home screen for quick access on the go!
Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook, join our Google+ circle, connect with us on LinkedIn, check out our photos on Instagram and follow our Pinterest boards for updates on what’s happening in and around the Mother City!