Salute the sun for free with Freedom Friends And Kafui Awoonor and others
10 Questions For: Jack Parow
With multi-platinum selling albums and a dedicated fan base, Zander Tyler aka Jack Parow is one of South Africa’s most popular performers
1. How would you describe what you do for a living?
Full-time drinker and braaier; part-time musician.
2. What is your most vivid childhood memory?
I once stole my friend’s mom’s racing bicycle, the one with the those handlebars that bend over like horns, and tried to do dirt jumps with it behind the church and properly fucked it up. I will NEVER forget that hiding…EVER.
3. If you could invite any three people, dead or alive, for dinner, who would they be and why?
Eugene Terre’Blanche, Julius Malema and Patricia de Lille...imagine how crazy that would be...fokkit.
4. If you ever found yourself auditioning for a music reality TV show, what song would you sing and why?
Jeez...um...I don't think or hope I would ever find myself doing that because I can't hold a note...so let's go for something by someone who can't hold a note either, maybe Steve [Hofmeyr].
5. How would you complete this sentence?
The South African cabinet should include a Minister of ___.
… Ministers, cause fokkit, they need some controlling.
6. What would you say is the biggest misconception about you?
That I'm English! A lot of people actually think that; it's funny.
7. What is your (honest) opinion of Cape Town?
I love Cape Town, I've bought a house here and I ain't going anywhere, I was born there and I was bred there, I don't hang out with the pretentious or hip crowd (because really, who wants to, they only fokkin hang out with each other). I hang out with the real, actual people of Cape Town because most of those people aren't even from here, so ja, that makes it much more fun. AND it’s number one city to visit in the whole world in 2014...KING!!
8. What's the greatest fear you've had to overcome to get where you are today?
I think just stage fright, that’s kak, but I'm pretty much done with that...hopefully.
9. What's the one thing you'd like to achieve before you die?
Um, I dont know. Maybe, like, buy a jet ski or build a lapa.
10. Which well-known South African personality would you, without a doubt, be able to beat in a street fight and why?
Leon Schuster! I already klapped him once.
Image of Jack Parow by Paul Ward
CapeTownMagazine.com’s 10 Questions project gets to know some of the Mother City’s most creative and inspiring people. From television personalities and musicians to politicians and entrepreneurs, we find out more about well-known and up-and-coming Capetonians. You can follow #CapeTownMag10Q on Twitter and Facebook to track recent interviews or read more here about our other awesome 10 Questions candidates.
A FEW OF OUR OTHER 10Q CANDIDATES:
10 Questions For King of Off-Road Running Ryan Sandes
10 Questions For Singer and Songwriter Lucy Kruger
Check out our events section for an up-to-date overview of happenings in Cape Town. Also, don’t forget to subscribe to our newsletter and if you have a smartphone, add m.capetownmagazine.com to your home screen for quick access on the go!
Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook, join our Google+ circle, connect with us on LinkedIn, check out our photos on Instagram and follow our Pinterest boards for updates on what’s happening in and around the Mother City!