Epic foodie experiences from coffee to dinner Monday to Saturday at the African Relish ...
10 Questions For: Ryan Sandes
As the only person to have ever won an ultra-trail race on every continent, this record-breaking endurance athlete is South Africa’s king of off-road running
1. How would you describe what you do for a living?
I run very long distances, preferably off-road or in the mountains. I live my dreams.
2. What is your most vivid childhood memory?
Riding my bike around our neighbourhood with friends and constantly falling off; I even rode through a fence once.
3. If you could invite any three people, dead or alive, for dinner, who would they be and why?
Nelson Mandela, because he is my absolute idol and I wish we had more people like him on this planet; Lance Armstrong, because his career and persona intrigue me; and Pamela Anderson, because I had a crush on her when I was a teenager.
4. If you ever found yourself auditioning for a music reality TV show, what song would you sing and why?
‘Baa, Baa Black Sheep’ – I don't sing and that’s probably the only song I know the words to.
5. How would you complete this sentence? The South African cabinet should include a Minister of _______.
…Honesty and integrity – these seem to be lacking in our government.
6. What would you say is the biggest misconception about you?
That I am shy. Once I get to know someone, I open up a lot.
7. What is your (honest) opinion of Cape Town?
I have travelled to all seven continents and there is nowhere on earth that comes close to Cape Town – it’s my home and my favourite place in the world!
8. What's the greatest fear you've had to overcome to get where you are today?
The fear of failure. I’ve found it’s important to focus on why you love doing something and not what other people think.
9. What's the one thing you'd like to achieve before you die?
I’d like to win the Western States 100 Miler [the world’s most prestigious 100-mile trail race].
10. Which well-known South African personality would you, without a doubt, be able to beat in a street fight and why?
Garreth 'Soldier Boy' McLellan [MMA fighter]...he fights like a girl. Jokes, actually, if I came up against him in a street fight, I would run faster and further than I ever have before. I did beat him in a mountain bike race during the Oakley X-Over Challenge this year, though.
Images of Ryan Sandes courtesy of Craig Kolesky
CapeTownMagazine.com’s 10 Questions project gets to know some of the Mother City’s most creative and inspiring people. From television personalities and musicians to politicians and entrepreneurs, we find out more about well-known and up-and-coming Capetonians. You can follow #CapeTownMag10Q on Twitter and Facebook to track recent interviews or read more here about our other awesome 10 Questions candidates.
A FEW OF OUR OTHER 10Q CANDIDATES:
10 Questions For Rugby Player Siya Kolisi
10 Questions For Author and Chef Carina Truyts
Check out our events section for an up-to-date overview of happenings in Cape Town. Also, don’t forget to subscribe to our newsletter and if you have a smartphone, add m.capetownmagazine.com to your home screen for quick access on the go!
Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook, join our Google+ circle, connect with us on LinkedIn, check out our photos on Instagram and follow our Pinterest boards for updates on what’s happening in and around the Mother City!