Every day “on your way” at Roast & Co. – enjoy 2-for-1 drink specials and discover the coolest mugs
Style Ahead of the Field at the 2018 Sun Met
Cape Town, get ready for the 134th edition of the Sun Met, which promises a day of African Chic and all around glamour
One of the biggest summer events in Cape Town, the Sun Met in partnership with G.H. Mumm, is taking place on Saturday, 27 January 2018 at Kenilworth Racecourse for its 134th edition. The annual race, formerly known as the J&B Met, is more than just a horse racing event – it’s a sophisticated soiree with world-class entertainment, and an epic show equestrian excellence, featuring 13 different horse races.
IT’S ALL IN THE THEME
In the buildup to The Met the question on everyone’s lips is always “what’s the theme?” so that we can start planning those outfits! We’re excited to share that the 2018 theme is “Style ahead of the Field” so let your imagine run wild! Racegoers are encouraged to arrive dressed in bright colours, prints and textures inspired by Africa.
Also, don’t be afraid to add glamour, sparkle and dazzle to your outfit as you could be crowned the best dressed fashionista of the day. You’ll be rubbing shoulders with South Africa’s hottest celebs so come dressed to the nines to mix and mingle at Cape Town’s grandest horseracing affair.
WHAT TO EXPECT AT THE 2018 SUN MET AT KENILWORTH RACECOURSE
Equestrian affair: While the fashion and fun is a major drawcard, the event is about the horseracing first and foremost. Thirteen races are taking place on the day with racehorse favourites like Ariel, Pocket Power, Wolf Power, Model Man, Empress Club, London News and Horse Chestnut all vying, with their jockeys, to come out tops.
Glitz, glamour and wow: The Sun Met is a highlight on every fashionista’s social calendar and with this year’s “Style ahead of the Field” theme is set to see the masses come out in true style. Rub shoulders with the country’s who’s who and chill out with the grandest celebs and influencers at a day renowned for its dazzle and fun. Dubbed “Africa’s Grandest Race Day”, make sure you and your partner come dressed in your Sunday best as there are prizes for the best dressed couple on the day.
Sate your palate: The Sun Met organisers have ensured that a delicious selection of food and drinks will be on sale to satisfy even the most picky of guests. And for those who prefer to picnic, there are special picnic options available too.
Pick a package: Your social calendar will get a great kick start with all the festivities at this year’s met.
There are six different ticket packages for you to choose from:
- General access R200/p: Includes entry to the event and to the after party.
- The Circa Turf Club R2679/p: Includes entry ticket, private Bedouin access, entertainment access, dedicated cocktail and lounge seating, buffet catering between 11am and 5pm, complimentary beer, wine and soft drinks, screens to the live races, private VIP toilet trailers, private tote facilities and race cards and access to the after party. Located in the main stage area.
- Circa Trackside Deck R3414.30/p: Includes entry ticket, Bedouin with decking and a view of the winning post against the rail, parking ticket, cocktail and lounge seating, full service catering throughout the day, complimentary bar excluding champagne, screens to the live races, private VIP toilet trailers, private tote facilities and race cards and access to the after party. Located below the racecourse control tower.
- Circa Winning Post Pavilion R5124.30/p: Includes entry ticket, air-conditioned marquee with Bedouin lounges, dedicated view of the winning post against the rail, parking ticket, premium cocktail reception, cocktail seating in dedicated viewing area, full service catering throughout the day, a glass of complimentary champagne on arrival, complimentary bar (excluding champagne, screens to the live races, invitations to the parade ring, private VIP toilet trailers, private tote facilities and race cards and access to the after party.
- Non-trackside R10 830/per group of 10 people: Includes entry ticket, access to the private picnic spots, umbrella, fencing and basic furniture, dedicated bar to purchase your drinks, access to food vendors and picnic baskets for purchase, private VIP toilet trailers, private tote facilities and race cards and access to the entertainment area. Located at the fence by the final stretch
- Trackside R11 970/per group of 10 people: Includes entry ticket, access to the private picnic spots, umbrella, fencing and basic furniture, dedicated bar to purchase your drinks, access to food vendors and picnic baskets for purchase, private VIP toilet trailers, private tote facilities and race cards and access to the entertainment area. Located at the fence by the final stretch
Please note: Sun MVG cardholders will receive 5% off Sun Met general access tickets and 5% off all Sun Met hospitality packages. A maximum of four tickets per cardholder allowed.
My Sun subscribers will receive 5% off Sun Met general access tickets and 5% discount off all Sun Met hospitality packages. A maximum of four tickets per cardholder allowed.
Betting: There are various forms of betting to partake in on the day. Remember to gamble responsibly.
One of the most talked about activities at the Sun Met has to be the after-party. Organisers have pulled out all the stops to bring you the best of South African talent featuring DJ Kent, DJ Zinhle, Euphonik, Mi Casa and Vin Deysel. Make sure you and your friends join this party to end of a day of glamour and style.
ABOUT THE KENILWORTH RACECOURSE
A historic patch of land in the centre of the hustle and bustle of the suburbs, the Kenilworth Racecourse is a seasonal wetland and home to the best preserved area of Cape Flats Sand Fynbos in the world. Undisturbed for more than 100 years, the 52-hectare nature reserve hosts hundreds of fauna species; at least 20 species are listed as endangered. Besides the endemic species, there are two plants listed as extinct in the wild that have been introduced to the area for conservation. What’s more, the reserve supports a small but healthy community of reptiles, birds and small mammals, including the critically endangered Micro Frog and Cape Platanna frog.
There are a plethora of events in Cape Town all year long, why not check out our list. If you are looking for a fine dining restaurant then check out our top picks. And if you want to host your own party, we have a list of unique venues for you to choose from.
Use our events section for an up-to-date overview of happenings in Cape Town. Also, don’t forget to subscribe to our newsletter and if you have a smart phone, add m.capetownmagazine.com to your home screen for quick access on the go!
Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook, join our Google+ circle, connect with us on LinkedIn, check out our photos on Instagram and follow our Pinterest boards for updates on what’s happening in and around the Mother City!