Where to drink one of the world’s oldest cocktails + a recipe
Summer Trout Salad Recipe
A wholesome, light delight for the sunny season
Updated: 3 October 2019
While the frosty days of winter call for hearty, heavy stews, the approach of warmer weather lends itself to somewhat lighter, healthier dishes that are not only refreshing but also ideal for keeping the body beach-ready. Pair it with a crisp white wine like Chenin Blanc for an instant hit.
Ingredients for Raw Trout Summer Salad with Citrus and Fennel Bulb For Four
400g fresh trout, raw
1 medium fennel bulb
100ml extra-virgin olive oil
100g wild rocket
2 medium courgettes (zucchinis)
1 spring onion
50g sesame seeds, toasted
Salt and pepper
A pinch of caster sugar
- Slice the trout fillet on a slight diagonal into slivers that are approximately 3mm thick
- Lay them out on a plate or platter, cover with cling film, and refrigerate
- Shave the fennel bulb as finely as possible using a mandoline, or by hand (start slicing from the stem part and work towards the end of the bulb).
- Zest and juice the lemon and orange
- Mix the zest, juice and olive oil together
- Season the mix with salt, freshly ground black pepper, and a pinch of sugar to balance the acidity
- Cut the tips from the raw courgettes, and, using a peeler, shave down the length of each. Repeat to shave the whole courgette, so as to make long, thin ribbons
- Roughly chop the mint and dill, and slice up the spring onion
- In a big bowl, mix the shaved fennel bulb, courgette, spring onion, mint and dill, and dress with the citrus mixture, then leave to marinate for about 15 minutes
- Place a dry frying pan onto medium heat and toast the sesame seeds, tossing them lightly until golden brown, then set aside to cool
- Cut the avocado in half, removing the pip in the centre
- Remove the skin of the avocado and cut into 1-cm chunks
- Take the trout out of the fridge, unwrap and season with a sprinkle of salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Pile the fennel and courgette mixture in the centre of the platter on top of the trout, leaving some trout exposed around the edges
- Top it with the avocado chunks, and then the wild rocket
- Pour the excess citrus dressing from the fennel mix over the entire salad
- Sprinkle the toasted sesame seeds over and serve.
Former Dear Me chef, Vanessa Marx, shares this hearty, beach-body-friendly trout salad recipe.
Indulge in this Fig and Dolce Mascarpone Salad.
Yearning for nutritious food but don’t have the desire (or the time) to prepare anything? Have a gander at our overview of top healthy eateries in Cape Town.
Craving a healthy lunch? Check out this salad bar in Gardens: Tossd.
Supercharge your event? Our Events Support Programme gets results. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org or +27 (0)21 422 2444.
Use our events section for an up-to-date overview of what’s happening in the city, suburbs and dorpies. Join our newsletter and add us to your mobile home screen for the ultimate guide to discoveries in Cape Town.
Follow and like us on Twitter ❤ Facebook ❤ LinkedIn ❤ Instagram ❤ Pinterest for updates.