Live jazz, date ideas, themed markets in the Waterfront
10 Questions For: Sechaba G
After being selected for a radio workshop at the Grahamstown National Arts Festival in 2005, Sechaba Gqeba went on to work for SAFM, Radio 2000 and Kaya FM. In addition to hosting her own show on KFM, Sechaba has been the MC for Mariah Carey’s Sweet, Sweet Fantasy Tour and Lionel Richie’s All the Hits All Night Long Tour.
1. How would you describe what you do for a living?
I’m that friend that people hear on their radio but don’t see. A storyteller!
2. What is your most vivid childhood memory?
I decided to go and play with a couple of boys from my neighbourhood (we thought it would be a good idea to throw stones at each other) and came back home with a cut on the side of my head on the morning of my brother’s 2nd birthday. Absolute drama as you can imagine.
3. If you could invite any three people, dead or alive, for dinner, who would they be and why?
1. Nelson Mandela - He is a legend.
2. Oprah Winfrey - Her life story is incredibly inspiring and she just rocks!
3. Michelle Obama - She is the epitome of graciousness but is also very relatable, she’s like that fabulous aunt we all wish we had.
4. If you ever found yourself auditioning for a music reality TV show, what song would you sing and why?
‘Survivor’ by Destiny’s Child. I don’t know why, it’s the first song that came to mind. Haha.
5. How would you complete this sentence?The South African cabinet should include a Minister of ____________
Wi-fi. I think that minister would be very popular! … or not.
6. What would you say is the biggest misconception about you?
That I’m a diva.
7. What is your (honest) opinion of Cape Town?
I love it! It’s been my home for the past four years now, it’s stunningly beautiful and is a great place to raise kids. I do feel it has its issues though. There is still work that needs to be done socially. There is a massive divide between those who have opportunities and those who have absolutely nothing and are suffering as a result.
8. What’s the greatest fear you’ve had to overcome to get where you are today?
My fear of being in the spotlight. I was a very shy kid growing up so I havehad to work on that to make it in this industry. I still am quite shy.
9. What’s the one thing you’d like to achieve before you die?
See my son reach his full potential and navigate his way through life.
10. Which well- known South African personality would you , without a doubt, be able to beat in a one-on- one dance-off and why?
Rob Vember. I’m pretty sure he cannot dance.
CapeTownMagazine.com’s 10 Questions project gets to know some of the Mother City’s most creative and inspiring people. From television personalities and musicians to politicians and entrepreneurs, we find out more about well-known and up-and-coming Capetonians. You can follow #CapeTownMag10Q on Twitter and Facebook to track recent interviews or read more here about our other awesome 10 Questions candidates.
A FEW OF OUR OTHER 10Q CANDIDATES:
10 Questions For Cape Town-based Presenter Leigh-Ann Williams
10 Questions For Cape Town-based Liezel van der Westhuizen
Check out our events section for an up-to-date overview of happenings in Cape Town. Also, don’t forget to subscribe to our newsletter and if you have a smartphone, addm.capetownmagazine.com to your home screen for quick access on the go!
Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook, join our Google+ circle, connect with us onLinkedIn, check out our photos on Instagram and follow our Pinterest boards for updates on what’s happening in and around the Mother City!