Mygrow’s app boosts employee wellbeing and resilience
Lemon Meringue Recipe
When life gives you lemons, make lemon meringue pie!
Culinary terms such as "pastry" or "meringue" can send even the most seasoned of cooks into a state of panic. But truth be told, you don't have to be an alchemist or Parisian pastry chef to create sweet treats. All you have to do is stick to the recipe and follow it through in a methodical way. It's as easy as pie really.
Speaking of which, take the humble Lemon Meringue. Just three easy steps and a simple mix of eggs, butter, sugar and flour and presto!, you’ll have a pie that will make your taste buds sing with lemony delight.
So, all that’s really left to say is: when life gives you lemons...make Lemon Meringue pie.
Lemon Meringue Pie Recipe
For the pastry
- 62g butter, softened
- 1/4 cup castor sugar
- 1/2 egg
- 1 cup cake flour
- 1tsp baking powder
- Pinch of salt
For the filling
- 500ml ready prepared lemon curd
For the meringue
- 4 egg whites
- 1 tsp white vinegar
- 1 cup castor sugar
- Cream butter and sugar together and add the egg, beating well to combine.
- Add all the other ingredients for the pastry and mix to form a stiff dough.
- Press dough into a greased loose bottom tart tin to form the tart shell.
- Dock the pastry base and blind bake at 180'C for 20 min or until the pastry is lightly golden and crispy.
- Leave the pastry to cool completely before filling with the lemon curd.
- Place the egg whites and vinegar into a clean bowl over a Bain Marie (hot water bath) and whisk until soft peaks form.
- Gradually add the sugar and beat until thick and glossy.
- Spoon the meringue on top of the curd and grill under a preheated hot grill for 1-2 minutes, or use a blowtorch to toast until golden.
Recipe compliments the Expresso Breakfast Show, and article written by Adri de Kock.
Interested in a more distinctly South African recipe? Have a look at Adri's recipe for Amarula Mousse Tart.
Also, don’t forget to follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook, join our Google+ circle and check out our Pinterest boards for updates. Not to mention, subscribe to our newsletter to keep up to date with what's hip and happening in our pretty city.