From R200 vouchers and free upgrades, drive away with more value adds
Jan Braai's top 10 braai tips
The man behind National Braai Day tells you what’s important to him when he lights a fire
Jan Braai braais for a living. He is on the mission to get all South Africans around the fire on 24th September for National Braai Day otherwise known as Heritage Day. Here’s Jan’s advice on how to keep the fire burning, amongst other nuggets of braai-side wisdom.
1. Nothing beats a real wood fire.
2. 'Gas' is Afrikaans for a guest at your braai, not something you braai with.
3. Braaing is the only fat-negative way of cooking food. Even when you steam food the fat in it stays behind. When you braai the fat drips out.
4. Try not to braai with indigenous wood. Alien vegetation like Rooikrantz and Blackwattle drink lots of ground water and besides it feels good burning Australian invaders.
5. Braaing is a direct form of energy use, from the coals, to your meat. With conventional electricity there is a lot spillage between the power plant, power lines, electricity box, wires, stove and pan. If you love the earth, braai.
6. Have enough ice at your braai to put in Klipdrift & Coke, to keep beer cold, and to treat burn wounds with.
7. Smoke goes in the direction of pretty people, so send them to the kitchen to go and make salad.
8. Animals eat grass, leaves and vegetables all their lives and convert it to meat. Eating meat is like eating vitamin pills.
9. A cow must only be killed once. Don’t braai you steak until the flavour is dead too.
10. A braaibroodjie is your chance in life to have your bread buttered on both sides.