Get 10% off your Hermanus holiday plus a complimentary bottle of wine
10 Questions For: Boskasie
Eclectic soul singer and songwriter Nicole Davy, better known as Boskasie, is inspired by the nostalgic sounds of Cape Jazz, ever-present throughout her childhood. She hopes to make the world a better place with her sentimental melodies and earnest lyrics.
1. How would you describe what you do for a living?
Extremely stressful, but fun. I wouldn’t change it for the world.
2. What is your most vivid childhood memory?
Falling off a chair at the age of four, knocking the back of my head on the floor and being rushed to the hospital for X-rays. I thought I was going in for surgery. It was so scary.
3. If you could invite any three people, dead or alive, for dinner, who would they be and why?
My grandparents (that is four people) all played such an important part in the [Apartheid] struggle and I would be honoured to hear their stories.
4. If you ever found yourself auditioning for a music reality TV show, what song would you sing and why?
‘Hero’ by Mariah Carey. I spent most of my childhood singing that song in the shower. I would ace my audition.
5. How would you complete this sentence? The South African cabinet should include
a Minister with South Africa’s BEST INTERESTS.
6. What would you say is the biggest misconception about you?
That I am always crazy and outgoing. I actually love alone time and I sometimes have social anxiety.
7. What is your (honest) opinion of Cape Town?
Hmmm “The colony”. I find it a bit backward and racist. But it’s probably the only place where my soul is always at peace. (weird, I know).
8. What's the greatest fear you've had to overcome to get where you are today?
Having to be in complete control of myself and believe in my gift as a freelance artist. I’ve been used to structure my whole life.
9. What's the one thing you'd like to achieve before you die?
I want to make the world a better place through activism, using my music and art as my platform.
10. Which well- known South African personality would you, without a doubt, be able to beat in a one-on-one dance-off and why?
I would beat Lorcia Cooper in a dance off (but I would have to wake up from that dream afterwards). :( )
11. When did you fall in love with music?
From the first time I heard the smooth sounds of jazz playing in my household. I never looked back since.
by Shannon Fortune
CapeTownMagazine.com’s 10 Questions project gets to know some of the Mother City’s most creative and inspiring people. From television personalities and musicians to politicians and entrepreneurs, we find out more about well-known and up-and-coming Capetonians. You can follow #CapeTownMag10Q on Twitter and Facebook to track recent interviews or read more here about our other awesome 10 Questions candidates.
A FEW OF OUR OTHER 10Q CANDIDATES:
10 Questions For Cape Town-based artist, producer and songwriter Wandile Mbambeni
Check out our events section for an up-to-date overview of happenings in Cape Town. Also, don’t forget to subscribe to our newsletter and if you have a smartphone, add m.capetownmagazine.com to your home screen for quick access on the go!
Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook, join our Google+ circle, connect with us on LinkedIn, check out our photos on Instagram and follow our Pinterest boards for updates on what’s happening in and around the Mother City!