Snapped is a companion piece to the hugely successful, "I turned away and she was gone"
Bread and Butter Pudding Recipe
A traditional South African pudding recipe to get you into the sweet swing of things
Bread and Butter Pudding is a traditional South African dessert, best served hot with golden syrup, jam or honey and a good dollop of fresh cream!
Bread and Butter Pudding
Courtesy Hope family recipes
- ½ litre milk
- 1 tablespoon margarine
- ½ loaf bread
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 2 egg yolks
- 2 eggs
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- optional sultanas | raisins
- 2 egg whites whipped stiff with 3 tablespoons sugar
How to make the best Bread & Butter Pudding in South Africa
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees
- Warm the milk and margarine.
- Break ½ loaf of white bread into blocks.
- Add vanilla essence, egg yolks, eggs and sugar.
- Pour warm milk over mixture
- Beat well until like custard.
- Add optionals.
- Put into greased pan and
- Bake at 180 degrees for 45 minutes
- (in the mean time 2 egg whites whipped stiff with 3 tablespoons sugar)
- Take pudding from oven and allow to set
- Spread with jam and cover with stiff egg whites.
- Brown in oven.
Serve warm with golden syrup, jam, honey, and/or cream.
For more inspired recipes, be sure to check out our Recipes Section.