One luxury spa day and four remarkable getaway experience deals to reward yourself with, plus loads of exciting new experiences to have in the Hermanus area
10 Questions For: Vinny Lingham
A true start-up giant and an extremely successful Internet entreprenuer who's begun many intitives such as Silicon Cape and was more recently a dragon on SA's version of Dragons' Den.
1. How would you describe what you do for a living?
I work with very talented people to solve problems in an exciting industry every day.
2. What is your most vivid childhood memory?
That's a weird question - but I'd probably have to say nearly drowning at the age of 6 or 7. It was pretty scary.
3. If you could invite any three people, dead or alive, for dinner, who would they be and why?
1. Steve Jobs - To understand why he had to be so mean to achieve too much.
2. Nelson Mandela - To thank him for everything he did for us in SA. Also, to show him the latest edition of the Sunday Times and ask him to forgive us for what we are allowing to happen (xenophobia).
3. Elon Musk - Hoping that some of his genius will rub off onto me around the dinner table...
4. If you ever found yourself auditioning for a music reality TV show, what song would you sing and why?
Ironic - Alanis Morissette. Because that's how life works, right?
5. How would you complete this sentence? The South African cabinet should include________________________.
A Minister of Sanity.
6. What would you say is the biggest misconception about you?
Probably that everything I've done has been successful. I've had many failures and I learn from them and use them as my stepping stones to success.
7. What is your (honest) opinion of Cape Town?
I think Cape Town is the most beautiful city in the world. However, unless we can reduce the social inequality that exists in Cape Town, I fear that statues going down will be the least of our concerns...
8. What's the greatest fear you've had to overcome to get where you are today?
The fear of failure - and it never goes away - you need to manage it constantly.
9. What's the one thing you'd like to achieve before you die?
I'd love to win an Oscar. But, to be realistic, I would probably love to start a non-profit that really changes the lives of millions of people.
10. Which well-known South African personality would you, without a doubt, be able to beat in a street fight and why?
Hmmm, it would have to be Gil Oved, my co-star on Dragon's Den. He loves me so much he wouldn't see it coming and I wouldn't even need to fight dirty to win...
CapeTownMagazine.com’s 10 Questions project gets to know some of the Mother City’s most creative and inspiring people. From television personalities and musicians to politicians and entrepreneurs, we find out more about well-known and up-and-coming Capetonians. You can follow #CapeTownMag10Q on Twitter and Facebook to track recent interviews or read more here about our other awesome 10 Questions candidates.
A FEW OF OUR OTHER 10Q CANDIDATES:
10 Questions For MadWorld Entrepreneur Adelaide Potgieter
10 Questions For Entertainment Journalist and Television Producer Nicky Greenwall
Check out our events section for an up-to-date overview of happenings in Cape Town. Also, don’t forget to subscribe to our newsletter and if you have a smartphone, add m.capetownmagazine.com to your home screen for quick access on the go!
Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook, join our Google+ circle, connect with us on LinkedIn, check out our photos on Instagram and follow our Pinterest boards for updates on what’s happening in and around the Mother City!