Open Gardens Constantia is back in 2019, and this time they’re water-wise
10 Questions For: Lakota Silva
Born and bred in Cape Town, Lakota Silva’s vocal talent was first recognised when she featured in Locnville’s hit ‘Closer’ and performed alongside the electro duo as part of the opening act for Justin Bieber’s South Africa tour in 2013. Since then, she has starred alongside big names in the South African music industry including Pascal and Pearce, DeaderThanDisco, Royal K, Ameen Harron and Reason.
1. How would you describe what you do for a living?
I share stories in the only universal language in the world, music. I'm a performer of the arts.
2. What is your most vivid childhood memory?
My most vivid childhood memory... hmm... I think it must be when I became head girl at Panorama Primary School. I worked hard and was very proud of this achievement and the position. I was also proud to be the shortest head girl in the history of Panorama!
3. If you could invite any three people, dead or alive, for dinner, who would they be and why?
1. Jesus, or a disciple of His from the Bible – To literally listen and be engulfed in every beautiful word He may speak. To learn and grow.
2. Also, Michael Jackson – I'd love to speak to him about his endeavours, ask him plenty of questions about his musical journey and thank him for the gift of POP (baby!).
3. And my mom, of course – To show her she puts the special in every special occasion.
4. If you ever found yourself auditioning for a music reality TV show, what song would you sing and why?
'Big Spender' by Shirley Bassey. What a song! It's a very powerful song and I love the range and attitude one can deliver with it. The song always makes me feel feminine with a go-getter attitude.
5. How would you complete this sentence? The South African Cabinet should include a Minister of ________________________________.
The South African cabinet should include a Minister of Corruption. Any cabinet representing our beloved, ever-growing country should be thoroughly investigated to ensure all decisions made and tasks put in place is in the best interest of the people of our country. It's a huge responsibility and therefore a minister should be monitoring that this is the result always, without corruption.
6. What would you say is the biggest misconception about you?
The biggest misconception about me is that... Hmm… Not sure. But I am easy to talk to you if you try. Often people will have a chat and inform me that they enjoy having a conversation with me. Why, thank you! Takes one to know one.
7. What is your (honest) opinion of Cape Town?
I absolutely adore Cape Town. I feel we are blessed beyond belief with our diversity, creativity, beauty and landscape. I love that we've become very environmentally aware and that we've personally made improvements to ensure our living is green and earth friendly.
8. What's the greatest fear you've had to overcome to get where you are today?
The greatest fear I've ever had to overcome was learning to be comfortable with being uncomfortable. I've learned that the magic happens when you leave your comfort zone, take risks and be bold! I've also learned that movement is life. It's when we're willing to let go and follow our heart instead of doing what we’re 'supposed’ to be doing that we learn so much more about ourselves and we become truly happy. It's daunting for the most part, but completely and utterly worth it. Be and do you!
9. What's the one thing you'd like to achieve before you die?
The one thing I'd love to achieve before I die is to perform in front of an American audience. I've always had that on my heart. Performing at the Grammy Awards would be my absolute ultimate. I'd love that opportunity even more than winning a Grammy. Give me the stage over the statue any day.
10. Which well-known South African personality would you, without a doubt, be able to beat in a street fight and why?
Haha! I'm not a fan of fighting by any means but I'd definitely beat someone in a fun Muay Thai round! I do Muay Thai classes with Dragon Power so my trainers have taught me a thing or two. It could be more fun going against a male personality? Let's do it for the girls!
CapeTownMagazine.com’s 10 Questions project gets to know some of the Mother City’s most creative and inspiring people. From television personalities and musicians to politicians and entrepreneurs, we find out more about well-known and up-and-coming Capetonians. You can follow #CapeTownMag10Q on Twitter and Facebook to track recent interviews or read more here about our other awesome 10 Questions candidates.
A FEW OF OUR OTHER 10Q CANDIDATES:
10 Questions For Singer and Songwriter Lucy Kruger
10 Questions For Musician Jack Parow
Looking for some other really awesome Mother City artists and tracks? Here are 21 of the Greatest Songs to Come Out of Cape Town in the Last Four Decades. Also, don't forget to check out our Jukebox Section!
Check out our events section for an up-to-date overview of happenings in Cape Town. Also, don’t forget to subscribe to our newsletter and if you have a smartphone, add m.capetownmagazine.com to your home screen for quick access on the go!
Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook, join our Google+ circle, connect with us on LinkedIn, check out our photos on Instagram and follow our Pinterest boards for updates on what’s happening in and around the Mother City!