Travel, eat, drink with friends in a vibey kombi, driver included (20% off price)
Smitswinkel tented camp
Sleep under the trees in Table Mountain National Park
Smitswinkel is the newest Table Mountain National Park tented camp and is located approximately 300m from the Cape of Good Hope entrance gate. The environmental friendly camp ties in with the Hoerikwaggo accommodation concept of'Touching the earth lightly'. Here you won’t find heavy structures, nor treated woods, Smitswinkel has been constructed entirely from locally harvested invasive alien timber, with a minimum impact design. Interestingly, Smitswinkel was previously a forestry station.
The camp provides six tent-huts, each with two single beds, an en-suite bathroom and an outside kitchenette. Family-friendly Smitswinkel sleeps a maximum of 12 people. The communal dining and braai area is fully equipped for self-catering (check out the gum tree seed lampshades).
Things to do
- Simply relax
- From here both short and long hikes are possible, we especially recommend those around the Cape of Good Hope area; try the hike from Smitswinkel to Simon’s Town
- Visit the Cape of Good Hope/Cape Point
- Go for drives, angling, picnicking, beaching and cycling
- Explore the surrounds. Don’t forget to visit Boulders – home to the African Penguin.
- Relax in Smitswinkel’s indigenous garden and gum plantations
- Watch and listen to the animals that call the mountain home: klipspringer, gemsbok, porcupine, and many more.
Good to know
- You need to bring your own bedding and towels
- It’s fully wheelchair accessible
- Smitswinkel is solar-powered
- There’s secure parking
- There’s firewood for sale at the camp
It's R550 per tent per night. They do allow an additional child to sleep in the tent for an extra R137.50 per night, but guests will need to bring along their own mattress for the child.
SANParks offers a 20% discount off accommodation in its Cape Region Parks (Agulhas, Bontebok, Table Mountain, Tankwa and West Coast National Parks) in May, June and July 2012.