From lunches and carols to markets and meeting Santa
Easter Hot Cross Buns Recipe
Your guide on how to make your very own sweet spiced buns
Nothing says Easter eating like a toasted hot cross bun with melting butter, and with so much time on our hands during lockdown - why not learn to make them at home?
2 cups white bread flour, plus extra for dusting
2 cups all-purpose white flour
1/2 cup warm water
1/2 cup warm milk
1 1/2 teaspoons instant yeast
2/3 cup raisins, currants, or golden raisins (or a mix)
Finely grated zest of half an orange
1/4 heaping teaspoon each of cinnamon, nutmeg, and allspice
2 teaspoons fine salt
3 1/2 tablespoons castor sugar
1 medium egg
3 1/2 tablespoons butter
- Start with the basic dough. In a bowl, combine the flours, water, milk, yeast, salt, and sugar. Add the egg and butter and mix to a sticky dough. Then, add the dried fruit, orange zest, and spices and knead until silky and smooth.
- Cover the dough and let rise in a warm place for about 1 hour, until doubled in size.
- Punch down the risen dough and divide into 8 equal pieces. Shape into rounds and dust with flour. Place on a floured board, cover with plastic wrap or cloth and let proof for about 30 minutes until roughly doubled in size.
- Preheat the oven to 200 °C. To make the crosses, whisk together flour and water until smooth, then transfer to a pastry bag and snip off the end to make a fine hole (or use a plastic food bag with a corner snipped off). Transfer the risen buns to a baking sheet and pipe a cross on top of each one, then bake for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, melt jam and water in a pan. Brush over the buns to glaze as you take them from the oven. Transfer to a wire rack to cool. Serve hot, or toast them later.
Learn how to make 3 traditional Cape Town Easter recipes.
Need supplies? Get your groceries and essentials delivered to your door with these delivery services that are operating during the lockdown.
Use our events section for an up-to-date overview of what’s happening in the city, suburbs and dorpies. Join our newsletter and add us to your mobile home screen for the ultimate guide to discoveries in Cape Town.