Hold your own beverage while playing France’s most popular game with a local twist
2019's second SONA: Road closures and where to watch
How your commute home today could be affected (and where to hang out to avoid the traffic)
Latest update: 20 June 2019
President Cyril Ramaphosa is delivering his second State Of The Nation Address (SONA) in Parliament in Cape Town today. It's his third SONA and first since being sworn in as president this year. While it's always an exciting event for the Mother City, it does mean road closures and traffic that you'll want to avoid.
WHEN & WHERE IT’S HAPPENING
SONA takes place at Parliament on 21 Plein Street in Cape Town today, Thursday 20 June 2019, and dignitaries start arriving from around 4pm onwards. Before the official address at 7pm, there is a short ceremony comprising a military guard of honour and a 21-gun salute.
WHERE TO WATCH
If you're able to escape the CBD before the action starts and want to watch from the comfort of your couch, tune into SABC or e.tv news or live-stream the event as it happens via Parliament's live YouTube feed.
If you'll be in and around town and want to soak up a bit of the SONA vibe and avoid getting stuck in traffic, why not head to one of these old favourites:
The Fireman’s Arms
CBD: Buitengracht St & Mechau St, De Waterkant
+27 (0)21 419 1513
Tamboerskloof: 100 Kloof St
+27 (0)21 422 3638
Roxy Late Night
Gardens: 14 Wandel St
+27 (0)21 461 8507
Or, check out these cool spots to relax and enjoy a drink while SONA happens.
TEMPORARY ROAD CLOSURES ON 20 JUNE
06:00 to 23:45
- Church Square
- Roeland Street: between Plein and Buitenkant Streets
- Closure of Company's Garden
- Government Avenue from Orange Street to Wale Street
- Plein Street from Longmarket Street to Roeland Street
- St Johns Street from Roeland Street to Vrede Street
- Gallery Lane
- Bouquet Street
- Hope Street between Roeland and Glynn Streets
- Wesley Street between Buitenkant and Hope Streets
- Glynn Street between Buitenkant and Hope Streets
- Wale Street: between Queen Victoria and Adderley Streets
- Bureau Street: between Adderley and Parliament Streets
- Spin Street and Mostert Street between Corporation and Parliament Streetss
- Parliament Street from the gates of Parliament to Longmarket Street
17:00 to 20:00
- Buitenkant Street between Roeland and Strand Streets
17:45 to 19:30
- Klipper Road, Newlands: from Main Road (M4) to Newlands Avenue
- Princess Anne Avenue, Newlands: from Newlands Avenue to Union Avenue
- Newlands Avenue, Newlands: from Dean Street to Princess Anne Avenue
- Dean Street, Newlands, westbound: from Main Road (M4) to Newlands Avenue
- M3, Union Avenue, Rhodes Drive, Philip Kgosana Drive (De Waal Drive), Roeland Street, City-bound carriageway: from Newlands Avenue to city centre
- Woolsack Drive, Rondebosch, westbound: between Main Road (M4) and Rhodes Drive (M3)
- Anzio Road, Observatory: from Main Road (M4) to Philip Kgosana Drive (De Waal Drive) (M3)
- N2, Settlers Way City-bound carriageway: from Main Road (M4) to city centre
18:00 to 19:30
- Roeland Street, between Buitenkant and Brandweer Streets
- Klipper Road: between Main Road and M3
- M3: between Princess Ann and Philip Kgosana Drive(De Waal Drive)
- Princess Anne Avenue, Newlands
- Church Square, corner of Spin and Parliament Streets
- Roeland Street: between Plein and Brandweer Streetss
- Plein Street: between Roeland and Long Market Street
- Spin Street: between Parliament and Plein Streets
- Parliament Street: between Longmarket and Bureau Streets
- Hatfield and St John’s Streets: between Roeland and Orange Streetss
- Adderley Street: between Wale Street and Longmarket Street
- St Mary’s Cathedral Parking Area: between Bouquet and Roeland Streets
- Gallery Lane
- Queen Victoria Street
- Commercial Street between Buitenkant and Plein Streets
- Barrack Street between Buitenkant and Plein Streets
- Albertus Street between Buitenkant and Corporation Streets
- Caledon Street between Buitenkant and Corporation Streets
- Mostert Street between Buitenkant and Plein Streets
- Longmarket Street between Buitenkant and St Georges Mall
- Wale Street up to Queen Victoria Street
- Hope Street from Roeland to Wesley Street
- Longmarket to Barrack Street
- Darling Street between Corporation and Buitenkant Streets
- Corporation between Longmarket and Barrack Streets
- Glynn and Wesley Street between Hope Street and Buitenkant Streets
- Buitenkant Street between Glynn and Wesley Street
- Avenue Street and Paddock Street
- Church Street from St Georges Mall to Adderley Street
- Long Market Street from St George Mall to Adderley Street
- Shortmarket and St Georges Mall
- From the N2 (Settler’s Way): use the N1, FW de Klerk Blvd via M5 (Black River Parkway), or M7 (Jakes Gerwel Dr).
- From the M3 (Union Ave): use the M5 (Black River Parkway) and N1 (FW de Klerk Blvd) or M4 (Main Rd), onto Victoria Rd, right onto Christiaan Barnard Rd to circle the outer CBD. Note Tennant, De Villiers is closed; no access to Roeland St; Annandale/Orange St. Use lower CBD and circle around. Unless it’s for local access into the residential areas. Right onto Christiaan Barnard Rd to circle the outer CBD.
- Outer CBD Circle Road: Use the following ring route to/from the area of the CBD affecting you:
Christiaan Barnard Rd, FW De Klerk BLD, Buitengracht, Buitensingel St, Orange St, Jutland Ave, Tennant St. (Controlled closure, local access only).
Emergencies: Call the City’s Public Emergency Call Centre; dial 107 (landline) or 021 480 7700 (cell).
Enquiries: Contact the 24/7 Transport Information Centre at 0800 65 64 63 for any updates.
This is where President Cyril Ramaphosa resides when he lives in Cape Town.
Take a look at our annual June events to find out about more hot happenings taking place during the month.
Use our events section for an up-to-date overview of what’s happening in the city, suburbs and dorpies. Join our newsletter and add us to your mobile home screen for the ultimate guide to discoveries in Cape Town.