Robin Hood in Kloof Street has basket lunch deals every day
Cape Town is a 2016 C40 Cities Awards Finalist
The Mother City has been recognised for its climate change initiatives
Last Updated: 28 September 2016
Once again, our beautiful, and forward-thinking city has been globally recognised; this time as a finalist in the 2016 C40 Cities Awards. C40 received 160 applications from 75 cities around the world, showcasing some of the globe’s most innovative policies and programmes to help reduce greenhouse gas emissions and improve resiliency to climate change.
The City of Cape Town was recognised in two categories for two of its leading Energy and Climate Programme projects:
- Energy and Climate Change Programme – Energy2040 Programme and Energy and Climate Action Plan, in the Climate Action Plans and Inventories category
- Transit-Orientated Development Strategic Framework, March 2016, in the Sustainable Communities category
The C40 Cities Climate Leadership Group is a network of the world’s leading cites in the international efforts to combat and reduce climate change and risks. The global awards are granted in 10 categories (see below) and provide worldwide recognition for areas that are demonstrating climate action leadership. In its fourth year, the annual C40 Cities Awards continues to strive to share highly replicable ‘best practices’ across cities and draw attention to outstanding performances that have achieved a high level of environmental success in a challenging context.
The 2016 C40 Cities Awards Categories and Finalists
- Climate Action Plans and Inventories: Buenos Aires, CAPE TOWN, Paris, Portland
- Adaptation Plans and Assessments: Belo Horizonte, New York City, Paris
- Building Energy Efficiency: Guangzhou, Melbourne & Sydney, San Francisco
- Clean Energy: Johannesburg, Vancouver, Washington DC, Yokohama
- Finance and Economic Development: Canberra, Toronto, Shenzhen
- Solid Waste: Auckland, Kolkata, Milan
- Adaptation in Action: Copenhagen, Hong Kong, San Francisco
- Transportation: Addis Ababa, Houston, Mexico City, Taiyuan, Wuhan
- Sustainable Communities: Auckland, CAPE TOWN, Curitiba, Toronto
- Social Equity and Climate Change: New York City, Portland, Seoul
The official awards ceremony will take place on 1 December 2016 in Mexico City to coincide with the C40 Mayors Summit.
STAY TUNED AND SUBSCRIBE TO OUR NEWSLETTER FOR MORE INFORMATION
Source: The City of Cape Town
Image Credit (Table Mountain): Josh Oates
Image Credit (World Map): C40
Use our events section for an up-to-date overview of happenings in Cape Town. Also, don’t forget to subscribe to our newsletter and if you have a smartphone, add m.capetownmagazine.com to your home screen for quick access on the go!
Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook, join our Google+ circle, connect with us on LinkedIn, check out our photos on Instagram and follow our Pinterest boards for updates on what’s happening in and around the Mother City.