Here’s your chance to sip cocktails on the Corona Sunset Deck in shorts and slops (while the kids are occupied making their own pizza) on Sea Point’s Platinum Mile
10 Questions For: Tecla Ciolfi
Cape Town born and bred, this music lovin' writer is editor of Deezer SA and the brains behind music blog Texx And The City
1. How would you describe what you do for a living?
I write about and listen to music all day.
2. What is your most vivid childhood memory?
Feeding squirrels and eating ice cream with my mother in a leafy-green Company Gardens on an abnormally hot spring Sunday.
3. If you could invite any three people, dead or alive, for dinner, who would they be and why?
Michael Bolton, because ever since he did that song with Lonely Island I’ve been mildly obsessed with him; Frank Ocean, because I’m pretty sure he’s a nonchalant genius and I’d love to pick that brain; and Amy Winehouse, because who wouldn’t want to have a drink with one of the best voices of their generation?
4. If you ever found yourself auditioning for a music reality TV show, what song would you sing and why?
Okay, so here’s a little confession – I once auditioned for SA Idols and I sang that god-awful single soundtrack from Pearl Harbour. I remember the girl in front of me in the queue looked like an overly bedazzled teenage version of Patricia Lewis and her and her vocal coach (aka mother) were taking the whole thing way too seriously. I also remember downing a large amount of rescue remedy in the waiting room.
5. How would you complete this sentence? The South African cabinet should include a Minister of __________________.
With all the money Jacob Zuma needs to pay back I don’t think we should be hiring any new ministers for a while.
6. What would you say is the biggest misconception about you?
That I’m unapproachable, I get that quite a bit. I have a resting bitch-face so it makes things a bit awkward at times.
7. What is your (honest) opinion of Cape Town?
It is, quite simply, one of the most striking cities in the world and I’m very proud to call it my birthplace and home.
8. What's the greatest fear you've had to overcome to get where you are today?
Self-doubt was a big one for me. When everyone matriculated and enrolled in varsity, I took two years off and worked odd jobs and when everyone started settling into their 9-5 hours and wages, I was still freelancing and I'd always wonder if I'd done things the wrong way. Now I know that there is no wrong or right way, everyone walks their own path and I always knew mine was a productive one because 9 times out of 10 I was very happy at the end of a long day and I still am.
9. What's the one thing you'd like to achieve before you die?
Publish a book or two. I’m actually in the process of writing my first one, the development of which has surprisingly been my most gratifying experience to-date.
10. Which well-known South African personality would you, without a doubt, be able to beat in a street fight and why?Bonang (Matheba). Just kidding, she’d probably gut me.
Images provided by Tecla Ciolfi
CapeTownMagazine.com’s 10 Questions project gets to know some of the Mother City’s most creative and inspiring people. From television personalities and musicians to politicians and entrepreneurs, we find out more about well-known and up-and-coming Capetonians. You can follow #CapeTownMag10Q on Twitter and Facebook to track recent interviews or read more here about our other awesome 10 Questions candidates.
A FEW OF OUR OTHER 10Q CANDIDATES:
10 Questions For Cape Town IGER Mike Eloff
10 Questions For Slow Drive Travel Magazine Guillaume Marais (founder) and Nadia Krige (editor)
Check out our events section for an up-to-date overview of happenings in Cape Town. Also, don’t forget to subscribe to our newsletter and if you have a smartphone, add m.capetownmagazine.com to your home screen for quick access on the go!
Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook, join our Google+ circle, connect with us on LinkedIn, check out our photos on Instagram and follow our Pinterest boards for updates on what’s happening in and around the Mother City!