Support Jordan Wine Estate’s 12th annual clothing drive and get a free coffee
10 Questions For: Steven McKellar
Lead singer Steven McKellar, together with his brother Andrew McKellar on guitar, Richard Wouters on drums and Kevin Dailey on keys and guitar form the much-loved internationally recognised band, Civil Twilight. Currently residing in Nashville, Tennessee, the Cape Town-origin group is living proof of what happens when one lets go of the aspiration to be the chosen one and creates music built on both the roots that grew you and the love that keeps you thriving every day.
1. How would you describe what you do for a living?
I would say I’m an explorer of personal creative landscapes. And I run out of food and water a LOT.
2. What is your most vivid childhood memory?
Well, I remember a very bright light at the end of a very small tunnel… Nah, I’d say it was meeting my best friend Josh at the age of around four or five. We were inseparable until I was about 13 years old.
3. If you could invite any three people, dead or alive, for dinner, who would they be and why?
1. Anthony Bourdain [Amercan chef, author and television personality]
2. Jesus Christ
3. My wife.
Anthony can take care of the food. Jesus will sort out the wine. And my wife and I can just sit there and enjoy it all. Plus it would make for interesting conversation, I’m sure.
4. If you ever found yourself auditioning for a music reality TV show, what song would you sing and why?
I’d most likely sing the first song I ever wrote. It was about dog poo.
5. How would you complete this sentence? The South African cabinet should include a Minister of ___________________
…..a Minister of ‘Negative 15 Ministers’.
6. What would you say is the biggest misconception about you?
That I’m naturally confident.
7. What is your (honest) opinion of Cape Town?
I’m from Cape Town. I love Cape Town. Nothing more.
8. What's the greatest fear you've had to overcome to get where you are today?
I’ll give you one out of dozens; the fear that I’ll wake up one morning to discover that I was never really good at anything and that no one bothered to tell me, they were just patting me on my back and shaking their heads all this time.
9. What's the one thing you'd like to achieve before you die?
I’d like to achieve a sense of absolute acceptance and peace about who I am and who others are.
10. Which well- known South African personality would you , without a doubt, be able to beat in a street fight and why?
I believe I could definitely beat the sh*t out of Zakumi the Leopard. 3-0
CapeTownMagazine.com’s 10 Questions project gets to know some of the Mother City’s most creative and inspiring people. From television personalities and musicians to politicians and entrepreneurs, we find out more about well-know and up-and-coming Capetonians. You can follow #CapeTownMag10Q on Twitter and Facebook to track recent interviews or read more here about our other awesome 10 Questions candidates.
A FEW OF OUR OTHER 10Q CANDIDATES:
10 Questions For Cape Town-based Musician Jeremy de Tolly
10 Questions For Cape Town Artist Thomas Cartwright
Check out our events section for an up-to-date overview of happenings in Cape Town. Also, don’t forget to subscribe to our newsletter and if you have a smartphone, add m.capetownmagazine.com to your home screen for quick access on the go!
Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook, join our Google+ circle, connect with us on LinkedIn, check out our photos on Instagram and follow our Pinterest boards for updates on what’s happening in and around the Mother City!