Café Extrablatt is running two amazing 2-for-1 deals
10 Questions For: Siphosethu Phikelela
An emblem of combining one’s passion with one’s sense of self – isiXhosa-poet, Siphosethu Phikelela, has been writing since the age of 13 and was crowned the 2016 champion of the Open Book Festival Poetry Slam. Her talent also gave her the chance to get published in sport, arts and community activism magazine, Sparkling Women.
1. How would you describe what you do for a living?
I write, perform poetry and I slam.
2. What is your most vivid childhood memory?
My most vivid childhood memory would have to be going to school on an empty stomach with nothing but mom's motivations.
3. If you could invite any three people, dead or alive, for dinner, who would they be and why?
1. Noxolo Grootboom – I've looked up to her since I was a child.
2. Thandiswa Mazwai – Her music does magic to my soul. I'd love to collaborate with her someday.
3. Gcina Mhlophe – I believe I'd acquire a lot of wisdom from her.
4. If you ever found yourself auditioning for a music reality TV show, what song would you sing and why?
The song I'd sing is ‘Destiny’ by Zahara. It reminds me of the times I had the desire to get where I am now and how I'd look up and keep dreaming even though there were discouragements. I believe in my vision and the song gives me hope that there's more on its way.
5. How would you complete this sentence? The South African cabinet should include a Minister of _____________.
Language and Poetry. Just that.
6. What would you say is the biggest misconception about you?
People thinking I write in isiXhosa because I have a thing against other languages. I just love my mother tongue.
7. What is your (honest) opinion of Cape Town?
The city is a polished reflection of apartheid. Segregation, racism and discrimination occur on a daily basis.
8. What's the greatest fear you've had to overcome to get where you are today?
9. What's the one thing you'd like to achieve before you die?
Travel the world through my poetry and own a library.
10. Which well-known South African personality would you, without a doubt, be able to beat in a one-on-one dance-off and why?
Julius Malema. Haha! I've never seen him dance.
CapeTownMagazine.com’s 10 Questions project gets to know some of the Mother City’s most creative and inspiring people. From television personalities and musicians to politicians and entrepreneurs, we find out more about well-known and up-and-coming Capetonians. You can follow #CapeTownMag10Q on Twitter and Facebook to track recent interviews or read more here about our other awesome 10 Questions candidates.
A FEW OF OUR OTHER 10Q CANDIDATES:
10 Questions For Cape Town-based Author Mohale Masigo
10 Questions For Cape Town-born actress Chelsea Macleod
Check out our events section for an up-to-date overview of happenings in Cape Town. Also, don’t forget to subscribe to our newsletter and if you have a smartphone, add m.capetownmagazine.com to your home screen for quick access on the go!
Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook, join our Google+ circle, connect with us on LinkedIn, check out our photos on Instagram and follow our Pinterest boards for updates on what’s happening in and around the Mother City!