Epic foodie experiences from coffee to dinner Monday to Saturday at the African Relish ...
10 Questions For: Scot Kirton
Head Chef at the prestigious La Colombe Restaurant at Silvermist Wine Estate, Scot Kirton is a firm advocate for cooking from the heart and a believer that anything is possible, which is evident in his phenomenal, tasty and playful cuisine.
1. How would you describe what you do for a living?
Expressing an emotional and intellectual idea through a basic, visceral medium. And shouting at people.
2. What is your most vivid childhood memory?
My most vivid childhood memory would be accidentally setting fire to our garden shed when I was 5.
3. If you could invite any three people, dead or alive, for dinner, who would they be and why?
Thomas Keller, Grant Achatz and Ronald McDonald for their culinary genius and trailblazing.
4. If you ever found yourself auditioning for a music reality TV show, what song would you sing and why?
‘The time of my life’ by Bill Medley and Jennifer Warnes for my love of the 1987 classic ‘Dirty Dancing’. It had a big impact on me growing up. Or ‘Call me maybe’by Carly Rae Jepsen.
5. How would you complete this sentence? The South African cabinet should include a___________________.
Minister of Common Sense and Logic.
6. What would you say is the biggest misconception about you?
That I am a tough chef to work for. I’m very easy going once you get to know me
7. What is your (honest) opinion of Cape Town?
My favourite city in the world and fast becoming a top contender in terms of culinary destinations worldwide.
8. What's the greatest fear you've had to overcome to get where you are today?
Moving to London as a young chef to gain experience under Marcus Wareing at the Savoy. It was well worth the move as I ended up with invaluable experience that put me on track to get to where I am now.
9. What's the one thing you'd like to achieve before you die?
A perfect pool game, a never ending Jenga game and catching a 80kg plus tuna.
10. Which well- known South African personality would you, without a doubt, be able to beat in a street fight and why?
Nathaniel. I will distract him with my championship boerewors .
Coming late 2019: La Colombe’s Indian-inspired eatery, Epice Franschhoek.
CapeTownMagazine.com’s 10 Questions project gets to know some of the Mother City’s most creative and inspiring people. From television personalities and musicians to politicians and entrepreneurs, we find out more about well-known and up-and-coming Capetonians. You can follow #CapeTownMag10Q on Twitter and Facebook to track recent interviews or read more here about our other awesome 10 Questions candidates.
A FEW OF OUR OTHER 10Q CANDIDATES:
10 Questions For MasterChef SA Winner, Food-Writer and TV Host Kamini Pather
10 Questions For DIY YouTube Sensation Suzelle DIY
Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook, connect with us on LinkedIn, check out our photos on Instagram and follow our Pinterest boards for updates on what’s happening in and around the Mother City!