Enjoy your summer days on Grotto beach with drinks, food and music
10 Questions For: Nicky Greenwall
Born and bred in Cape Town, Nicky Greenwall is well known as one of South Africa’s top entertainment journalists and television producers. She’s travelled the globe reporting live from various award ceremonies such as The Academy Awards and Cannes Film Festival and has conducted one-on-one interviews with the likes of Johnny Depp, Leonardo DiCaprio and Charlize Theron.
1. How would you describe what you do for a living?
I'm a television producer, documentary-maker and entertainment journalist.
2. What is your most vivid childhood memory?
My brother tying my North Star takkies for me before I went to my first day at nursery school.
3. If you could invite any three people, dead or alive, for dinner, who would they be and why?
My dad is the only person I'd want to invite to dinner – he passed away 13 years ago.
4. If you ever found yourself auditioning for a music reality TV show, what song would you sing and why?
‘Selfless, Cold and Composed’ by Ben Folds Five. I sing it to my kids when they're going to sleep.
5. How would you complete this sentence? The South African cabinet should include a Minister of___________
6. What would you say is the biggest misconception about you?
I think some people think I'm a lot older than I look in person. I'm 36 in case you're wondering :)
7. What is your (honest) opinion of Cape Town?
I was born in Cape Town, and I've spent most of my life here. It's the best place on earth and I wouldn't live anywhere else in the world if you paid me (literally).
8. What's the greatest fear you've had to overcome to get where you are today?
I still have a fear of driving on highways. I have good days and bad days, but, I'm working on it. Just getting into the office can be a big challenge for me sometimes.
9. What's the one thing you'd like to achieve before you die?
I'd like to make a really good film.
10. Which well- known South African personality would you , without a doubt, be able to beat in a street fight and why?
The singer Louise Carver. She's been one of my best friends since high school. We used to wrestle at break sometimes, so I know all her moves :)
BONUS QUESTION: What has been your most exciting discovery in Cape Town? Or about Cape Town?
I love the "social current" in Cape Town. Diehard Capetonians don't make too many plans and decide what they're doing an hour before they're doing it. I love living like that. I'm so used to planning for work - I find it's good to keep a spontaneous social life.
CapeTownMagazine.com’s 10 Questions project gets to know some of the Mother City’s most creative and inspiring people. From television personalities and musicians to politicians and entrepreneurs, we find out more about well-known and up-and-coming Capetonians. You can follow #CapeTownMag10Q on Twitter and Facebook to track recent interviews or read more here about our other awesome 10 Questions candidates.
A FEW OF OUR OTHER 10Q CANDIDATES:
10 Questions For Writer Rebecca Davis
10 Questions For Film Producer Arthur Mataruse
Check out our events section for an up-to-date overview of happenings in Cape Town. Also, don’t forget to subscribe to our newsletter and if you have a smartphone, add m.capetownmagazine.com to your home screen for quick access on the go!
Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook, join our Google+ circle, connect with us on LinkedIn, check out our photos on Instagram and follow our Pinterest boards for updates on what’s happening in and around the Mother City!