See Matthew Mole, The Kiffness, Fintry and more live at Café Roux this month
10 Questions For: Leeorah Hursky
Cape Town artist and author Leeorah Hursky creates artistic pieces that reflect her passion for dance. She also hosts monthly social gatherings at her Bree Street gallery, Gallery 301, that combines art and dancing in a unique and beautiful way.
1. How would you describe what you do for a living?
My life direction is both art and dance. I am fortunate to have found a way to combine both of these passions in live Art events. I paint Kizomba dancers in action and am lucky to have the last dance.
2. What is your most vivid childhood memory?
I grew up in Muizenberg so the beach was the favourite spot to hang out. I used to spend a lot of time with my childhood boyfriend, roaming the beaches and hanging out together as kids. He was the only one who could persuade me to wear a dress, as I was an avid tomboy.
3. If you could invite any three people, dead or alive, for dinner, who would they be and why?
1. Mandela is the top of my list .He was the most remarkable man. In my eyes he was a saint. To forgive as he did was remarkable.
2. Richard Branson would be next as the businesswoman in me would thrive and be inspired by him. I love bouncing ideas around and for sure that man could match me.
3. Papaji, who was a spiritual master. I did have the fortune of spending time with him in India and would love to be in his presence again.
4. If you ever found yourself auditioning for a music reality TV show, what song would you sing and why?
I would sing ‘Nkosi SikeleI’ iAfrica’ because my pulse beats with an African beat. I tried to leave Africa before but for sure Africa never leaves you.
5. How would you complete this sentence? South Africa needs a Minister of _____________.
Integrity, for the nation to be inspired to walk Mandela’s path.
6. What would you say is the biggest misconception about you?
I am seen as arrogant, pushy and loud-mouthed.
7. What is your (honest) opinion of Cape Town?
I love it. As a returnee it is home again for me. The one thing that is challenging having returned from Australia is that it’s hard to break into the local scene. Hence my friends are usually foreigners.
8. What's the greatest fear you've had to overcome to get where you are today?
As I was never a dancer in my youth, and neither am I built like a dancer, to dance now in these later years is just pure delight. As a child I could not dance and would freeze in ballet class. I had one ballet lesson and sat on the floor and refused to dance. It has been a journey to come to accept that I am a big woman who loves to dance.
9. What's the one thing you'd like to achieve before you die?
I would like to see women in Africa being empowered and becoming great entrepreneurs.
10. Which well-known South African personality would you, without a doubt, be able to beat in a street fight and why?
Pieter-Dirk Uys, however I wouldn’t fight him but have a bake-off.
CapeTownMagazine.com’s 10 Questions project gets to know some of the Mother City’s most creative and inspiring people. From television personalities and musicians to politicians and entrepreneurs, we find out more about well-known and up-and-coming Capetonians. You can follow #CapeTownMag10Q on Twitter and Facebook to track recent interviews or read more here about our other awesome 10 Questions candidates.
A FEW OF OUR OTHER 10Q CANDIDATES:
10 Questions For Make-Up Artist Megan Wylie
10 Questions For Photographer Yann Macherez
To help you find other exhibition spaces that have gotten lovers of all things pretty, abstract and thought-provoking talking, we’ve compiled an extensive overview of Art Galleries in Cape Town.
Check out our events section for an up-to-date overview of happenings in Cape Town. Also, don’t forget to subscribe to our newsletter and if you have a smartphone, add m.capetownmagazine.com to your home screen for quick access on the go!
Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook, join our Google+ circle, connect with us on LinkedIn, check out our photos on Instagram and follow our Pinterest boards for updates on what’s happening in and around the Mother City!