And it’s free at the A4 Arts Foundation
10 Questions For: Jon-Jon Emary
As the Newlands Station Manager for the Volunteer Wildfire Services, this brave local man dedicates his spare time to keeping Cape Town from going up in flames
1. How would you describe what you do for a living?
I work my butt off day in and day out to pay the bills. But other than that, in my spare time, I am the Newlands Station Manager for the Volunteer Wildfire Services. The truth is that it is a full-time job, but as a group of passionate volunteers, we somehow get it done in our free time.
2. What is your most vivid childhood memory?
When I moved to Cape Town at the age of three, I can clearly remember driving into the city on the N1 and seeing the infamous Table Mountain for the first time.
3. If you could invite any three people, dead or alive, for dinner, who would they be and why?
My father, so that he could see what I have done with my life. Nelson Mandela, because who wouldn’t want to have dinner with the father of the new South Africa? And my amazing girlfriend – she is incredibly supportive of everything I do and definitely my biggest fan.
4. If you ever found yourself auditioning for a music reality TV show, what song would you sing and why?
‘Fire’ by Gavin DeGraw. It just seems appropriate after the week we had in March battling the massive Cape fires.
5. How would you complete this sentence?
The South African cabinet should include a Minister of __________.
6. What would you say is the biggest misconception about you?
That I know everything. The reality is I really don't (but Google does).
7. What is your (honest) opinion of Cape Town?
Aside from that I think it’s the best city in the world? Where else can you experience such awesome people and amazing beauty?
8. What's the greatest fear you've had to overcome to get where you are today?
I don’t think you have to overcome fear. Fear is a part of life. It is good to be scared of some things – it keeps you on your toes. You just need to manage the fear.
9. What's the one thing you'd like to achieve before you die?
I want to be able to see my children be happy and successful.
10. Which well- known South African personality would you , without a doubt, be able to beat in a street fight and why?
With a fire beater or rake hoe in hand, I could definitely fight off some rather ominous opponents.
CapeTownMagazine.com’s 10 Questions project gets to know some of the Mother City’s most creative and inspiring people. From television personalities and musicians to politicians and entrepreneurs, we find out more about well-known and up-and-coming Capetonians. You can follow #CapeTownMag10Q on Twitter and Facebook to track recent interviews or read more here about our other awesome 10 Questions candidates.
A FEW OF OUR OTHER 10Q CANDIDATES:
10 Questions For Rugby Player Siya Kolisi
10 Questions For Author and Chef Carina Truyts
Check out our events section for an up-to-date overview of happenings in Cape Town. Also, don’t forget to subscribe to our newsletter and if you have a smartphone, add m.capetownmagazine.com to your home screen for quick access on the go!
Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook, join our Google+ circle, connect with us on LinkedIn, check out our photos on Instagram and follow our Pinterest boards for updates on what’s happening in and around the Mother City!