View Opperman’s works at the expanded gallery until 30 August
10 Questions For: Jeremy Olivier
This Cape Town-based singer-songwriter and recording artist has performed alongside many big names in the music industry including Daniel Bedingfield, Freshlyground, Jimmy Nevis, Beatenberg and Johnny Clegg to name but a few. As a skilled and accomplished guitarist and vocalist, he also has a couple of well-known and much-loved chart-climbing singles under his belt.
1. How would you describe what you do for a living?
I am a musician. I play guitar and sing for a living.
2. What is your most vivid childhood memory?
I would have to say hunting and fishing with my dad. I grew up in Zimbabwe and this was how we spent many a weekend.
3. If you could invite any three people, dead or alive, for dinner, who would they be and why?
1. My dad because he was the best storyteller on the planet and I miss him a lot (he passed away in 2013).
2. Ernie Els because I love golf and I am his biggest fan.
3. Oliver Mtukudzi because he played a huge role in my musical journey and was one of my greatest musical influences growing up. I think they'd all get on well too!
4. If you ever found yourself auditioning for a music reality TV show, what song would you sing and why?
Well, I did just that! I entered the first-ever series of The Voice SA and sang 'All of Me' by John Legend. I chose it because it ticks all the boxes for me as an artist and it is simply a beautiful love song. I wish I had written it!
5. How would you complete this sentence? The South African cabinet should include a Minister of _____________________________.
Silence. So he can keep everyone else quiet.
6. What would you say is the biggest misconception about you?
I think probably that I'm a pushover because I'm a nice guy and get on with everyone. But they don't realise that there's steel that runs deep within me.
7. What is your (honest) opinion of Cape Town?
Cape Town is the best city in the world, bar none!
8. What's the greatest fear you've had to overcome to get where you are today?
Probably the fear of rejection. It was much easier for me when I was a session guy, in the background, singing covers. But when I started to sing my own music and put myself out there, I definitely had to overcome that fear. I had to learn to let go and just be me, and be ok with it not sounding perfect sometimes, which is hard for a professional musician. Learning that touching people's hearts is way more of a priority than perfection in the song!
9. What's the one thing you'd like to achieve before you die?
I would love to travel around the world with my family. For my kids to experience different countries and cultures. I'd love to give them that.
10. Which well-known South African personality would you, without a doubt, be able to beat in a street fight and why?
Haha! No, can't think of anyone. I'm a lover, not a fighter!
CapeTownMagazine.com’s 10 Questions project gets to know some of the Mother City’s most creative and inspiring people. From television personalities and musicians to politicians and entrepreneurs, we find out more about well-known and up-and-coming Capetonians. You can follow #CapeTownMag10Q on Twitter and Facebook to track recent interviews or read more here about our other awesome 10 Questions candidates.
A FEW OF OUR OTHER 10Q CANDIDATES:
10 Questions For Singer Lakota Silva
10 Questions For Celebrity Chef and TV Personality Jenny Morris
Looking for some other really awesome Mother City artists and tracks? Here are 21 of the Greatest Songs to Come Out of Cape Town in the Last Four Decades.
Check out our events section for an up-to-date overview of happenings in Cape Town. Also, don’t forget to subscribe to our newsletter and if you have a smartphone, add m.capetownmagazine.com to your home screen for quick access on the go!
Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook, join our Google+ circle, connect with us on LinkedIn, check out our photos on Instagram and follow our Pinterest boards for updates on what’s happening in and around the Mother City!