And it’s free at the A4 Arts Foundation
10 Questions For: Jason Steel
Most famous for being a 2013 MasterChef South Africa finalist, Jason Steel is now pursuing his culinary dreams at The Test Kitchen where he works as a waiter and assistant wine sommelier. He is also a brand ambassador for GoPro, New Balance and Penny Skateboards.
1. How would you describe what you do for a living?
I work at The Test Kitchen as a waiter and assistant wine sommelier. So basically I take orders, carry food and pour wine. Haha jokes. It's a bit more complicated than that.
2. What is your most vivid childhood memory?
I got given a big pack of rascals from my neighbour who worked for a company that made them. I finished them in like a day and asked my parents if we could go visit her. And they were like 'no, you can't ask her for more!' So as an opportunist, I told them that I didn't want to ask her for more. I just wanted to let her know that mine were finished. Haha.
3. If you could invite any three people, dead or alive, for dinner, who would they be and why?
1. Nelson Mandela – He is a true inspiration and needs no further explanation.
2. Kelly Slater – I'd love to hear his story and how he's managed to stay motivated and driven for so many years. Oh, and he plays guitar too.
3. My late uncle Ron –I never had the chance to cook for him.
4. If you ever found yourself auditioning for a music reality TV show, what song would you sing and why?
‘Stairway to Heaven’ by Led Zeppelin. It would be an incentive to learn it from start to finish on guitar (I dabble a bit in my spare time).
5. How would you complete this sentence? The South African cabinet should include a Minister of_____________________.
Culinary Arts. I'm not big on politics but I’m big on food and wine. It seems like a great idea!
6. What would you say is the biggest misconception about you?
That I just chill all the time. Haha. I work hard and smart. It's all about time management!
7. What is your (honest) opinion of Cape Town?
It's the greatest place in the world and the place I call home. I absolutely love living in Cape Town and exploring all it has to offer.
8. What's the greatest fear you've had to overcome to get where you are today?
I guess the fear of the unknown. I've just learnt to let it be. Life will happen as it’s meant to. So just relax, enjoy it and let the good times roll.
9. What's the one thing you'd like to achieve before you die?
To travel as far and wide as I can and ticking as many countries off my list as humanly possible.
10. Which well- known South African personality would you, without a doubt, be able to beat in a street fight and why?
Trevor Noah. It would be great to take down the funny guy and because I'm streetwise too.
CapeTownMagazine.com’s 10 Questions project gets to know some of the Mother City’s most creative and inspiring people. From television personalities and musicians to politicians and entrepreneurs, we find out more about well-known and up-and-coming Capetonians. You can follow #CapeTownMag10Q on Twitter and Facebook to track recent interviews or read more here about our other awesome 10 Questions candidates.
A FEW OF OUR OTHER 10Q CANDIDATES:
10 Questions For Cape Town Chef Phillip Nel
10 Questions For Actress Esosa E
Check out our events section for an up-to-date overview of happenings in Cape Town. Also, don’t forget to subscribe to our newsletter and if you have a smartphone, add m.capetownmagazine.com to your home screen for quick access on the go!
Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook, join our Google+ circle, connect with us on LinkedIn, check out our photos on Instagram and follow our Pinterest boards for updates on what’s happening in and around the Mother City