Tis the season for carols...
10 Questions For: Hezron Chetty and Jono Tait
Cape Town-based Violinist and Songwriter Hezron Chetty creates a psychedelic and electrical style of sound that lends hand to the New Age genre. Along with Jono Tait, a member of the acoustic folk rock band ‘Hatchetmen’, these two talented musicians will be performing at the Interplanetary Folk Festival, which will take place at Blah Blah Bar from Monday, 26 September to Sunday, 2 October 2016.
1. How would you describe what you do for a living?
Hezron Chetty (HC): I make music that makes me happy
2. What is your most vivid childhood memory?
HC: Massive family lunches every week with my 30 plus extended family.
3. If you could invite any three people, dead or alive, for dinner, who would they be and why?
HC: I wouldn't want a dead person over for dinner .....but that would be interesting! I would have to say Jimmy Page, Jonathan Tait and Robert Plant... I know that if Jono came over for dinner and saw that Jimmy and Robert were there he would probably keel over and die!....wait he might actually also be the dead person I invite!
4. If you ever found yourself auditioning for a music reality TV show, what song would you sing and why?
HC: I would never audition for a reality TV show.
5. How would you complete this sentence? The South African Cabinet should include a Minister of ______________
HC: Minister of Bullshit...... This ministers only job will be to shout bullshit! in Parliament when the president speaks.
6. What would you say is the biggest misconception about you?
Jono Tait (JT): People think I'm a folkie. Like in a “folk singer”. Folkers for thinking that…
7. What is your (honest) opinion of Cape Town?
JT: Beautiful European African racial divide of a mess. It's home though.
8. What's the greatest fear you've had to overcome to get where you are today?
JT: Just the standard artist nonsense really. Songs not good enough, am I a good enough singer, can I play guitar, what in world made me think I should get up in front of people and open my mouth like I have something to say, etc. Oh, also when I cleaned up off drugs and alcohol, I was very scared of having to play sober at first.
9. What's the one thing you'd like to achieve before you die?
JT: Wow, so much! I want a yacht and a Ferrari. Maybe a Ferrari yacht even? Um, I'd love to go into space., watch Formula 1, live in Monaco, have a stable family. Most of all though, I want my songs to still be listened to in 50, 100 or 500 years time.
10. Which well-known South African personality would you, without a doubt, be able to beat in a dance-off and why?
JT: Oscar Pistorius. Haha! Or Helen Zille.
CapeTownMagazine.com’s 10 Questions project gets to know some of the Mother City’s most creative and inspiring people. From television personalities and musicians to politicians and entrepreneurs, we find out more about well-known and up-and-coming Capetonians. You can follow #CapeTownMag10Q on Twitter and Facebook to track recent interviews or read more here about our other awesome 10 Questions candidates.
A FEW OF OUR OTHER 10Q CANDIDATES:
10 Questions For Singer Simon van Gend
10 Questions For Musician Anton Goosen
Check out our events section for an up-to-date overview of happenings in Cape Town. Also, don’t forget to subscribe to our newsletter and if you have a smartphone, addm.capetownmagazine.com to your home screen for quick access on the go!
Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook, join our Google+ circle, connect with us onLinkedIn, check out our photos on Instagram and follow our Pinterest boards for updates on what’s happening in and around the Mother City