Artist MJ Lourens pairs his modern landscapes with Pierneef’s, plus there’s cheese ...
10 Questions For: Brett Rogers
Host of the South African counter-culture, travelogue and food show Food, Booze and Tattoos, which showcases our country’s unique and diverse contemporary cultures, Brett Rogers is a man of many talents. Not only is he also the founder of I Scout Jozi – a company responsible for finding locations for some of the most exciting international and local TV ads and documentaries to come out of our pretty shores, but he is also an exhibition curator, a model and the designer of his own clothing line HalfWolf.
1. How would you describe what you do for a living?
I entertain and educate. In whatever capacity that may be: art, fashion, TV, politics, music. I do this for me and my personal development, and if people enjoy it…all the better.
2. What is your most vivid childhood memory?
My mom tickling my stomach with her long fringe and both of us giggling hysterically. I suspect I was about six months old at the time. My own long fringe has now got its own benefits.
3. If you could invite any three people, dead or alive, for dinner, who would they be and why?
1. Genghis Khan [founder and Great Khan of the Mongol Empire]: I want to feel what it's like to be around someone that powerful, unrelentingly determined and capable of leading people.
2. Rad Hourani [Canadian designer, photographer and artist well-known for his neutral genderless creations]: A human with an amazing vision. Also, he can supply my wardrobe for the rest of my life.
3. Rome [Jerome] Fortune [American hip hop recording artist]: One of my favourite musicians. Those other two will be too deep, it will be fun to have another bearded brother at the table causing trouble.
4. If you ever found yourself auditioning for a music reality TV show, what song would you sing and why?
Bruce Springsteen, ‘I'm on Fire’. It's pretty much the only song that I can sing without embarrassing myself. Also, it’s badass sexy.
5. How would you complete this sentence? The South African cabinet should include a Minister_____________________.
6. What would you say is the biggest misconception about you?
HAHA! Great question. That I'm a badass. I'm not; I’m a pacifist, polite and gentlemanly.
7. What is your (honest) opinion of Cape Town?
I think Cape Town has the capability to be one of the most important cities in the world. I think the city relies too much on the easy wins that it has such as nature, beauty, beaches, mountains, and gorgeous people that it forgets that there is so much more that it can offer.
8. What's the greatest fear you've had to overcome to get where you are today?
An utter lack of self-confidence. It was when I was 18 that I decided that I would rather pretend to be confident than live out my days scared of exposing myself to the world. I realised after a while that I so have something to offer and I do have value. Then the confidence came naturally.
9. What's the one thing you'd like to achieve before you die?
I want to constantly strive for awareness and empathy. I want to keep learning and keep having my mind challenged by interesting people.
10. Which well- known South African personality would you, without a doubt, be able to beat in a street fight and why?
Remember... pacifist. So, no one.
CapeTownMagazine.com’s 10 Questions project gets to know some of the Mother City’s most creative and inspiring people. From television personalities and musicians to politicians and entrepreneurs, we find out more about well-know and up-and-coming Capetonians. You can follow #CapeTownMag10Q on Twitter and Facebook to track recent interviews or read more here about our other awesome 10 Questions candidates.
A FEW OF OUR OTHER 10Q CANDIDATES:
10 Questions For Cape Town Filmmaker, Presenter, Author and Cook Justin Bonello
10 Questions For Cape Town TV Presenter Graeme Richards
Check out our events section for an up-to-date overview of happenings in Cape Town. Also, don’t forget to subscribe to our newsletter and if you have a smartphone, add m.capetownmagazine.com to your home screen for quick access on the go!
Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook, join our Google+ circle, connect with us on LinkedIn, check out our photos on Instagram and follow our Pinterest boards for updates on what’s happening in and around the Mother City!