Spectacular offer: This is what we know
Music Lessons at School of Rock in Cape Town
Get your rock on with classes in guitar, vocals, drums and more at this one-of-a-kind academy
School of Rock, an international music school brand that has over 150 branches across eight countries, has finally landed in South Africa – in Cape Town’s suburb of Claremont, to be more specific – and is giving folk of all ages the chance to rock both on stage and in life. The institution differs from traditional music academies by focusing mainly on a performance-based approach to teaching as it believes that “the stage is the greatest teacher.” The school offers various age-specific programmes that focus on building certain skills. The courses are as follows:
Rookies (6 – 7 year olds)
This course is specifically designed to teach very young aspiring rock stars the basics of playing music. Students get to:
- Learn about pitch, rhythm and musical teamwork through fun games
- Learn simple rock songs in a group setting
- Partake in weekly group rehearsals that give them a taste of what it’s like to be in a band
- Play instruments like guitar, bass, keys, brass and drums, and hone their vocal skills.
Price: R750p/p per month (excl VAT)
Rock 101 (8 – 10 year olds)
Students are taught how to master rock music before they embark on performing in live shows. The songs that they learn to play in the programme are specifically chosen to help them develop a solid foundation in all aspects of specific musical instruments. Scholars get to:
- Learn the basics of instrumental techniques and music theory
- Get familiar with the dynamics of playing in a group
- Have a weekly private music lesson in guitar, bass, keys, vocals, brass and drums.
- Enjoy a weekly band rehearsal
Price: R1500p/p per month (excl VAT)
Performance Programme (11 – 18 year olds)
This is School of Rock’s core programme and is designed for scholars who already know the basics of how to play an instrument and are ready to conquer the stage. The course includes:
- An introduction to the team aspect of performance
- Instruction in harmonising, musicianship and stage performance
- Lessons about how to perform in an authentic rock show environment
- A weekly private music lesson in the student’s instrument(s) of choice
- A weekly three-hour band rehearsal to prepare for concerts
Price: R2000p/p per month (excl VAT)
Adult Performance Programme (19+ years olds)
This offering gives adults the opportunity to learn and perform alongside like-minded individuals at the School of Rock premises. Both experienced older musicians and first-timers can:
- Participate in weekly 90-minute group rehearsals
- Add extra lessons on top of this course as part of the Lessons+ option (below).
Price: R1000p/p per month (excl VAT)
Lessons+ (all ages)
This option is for anyone who is just looking for private lessons (without the band rehearsal dynamic) and is ideal for people who are very busy or have a tight schedule. It entitles students to the following:
- A weekly 45-minute private music lesson in guitar, bass, keys, vocals, brass and/or drums
- Access to special member-only artist events, programmes and workshops
For more information on any of the above music programmes, contact the Cape Town School of Rock on +27 (0) 21 671 9620.
Want to learn more about this internationally acclaimed music school? Here’s the run-down on the School of Rock Music Academy in Cape Town.
Use our events section for an up-to-date overview of happenings in Cape Town. Also, don’t forget to subscribe to our newsletter and if you have a smart phone, add m.capetownmagazine.com to your home screen for quick access on the go!
Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook, join our Google+ circle, connect with us on LinkedIn, check out our photos on Instagram and follow our Pinterest boards for updates on what’s happening in an around the Mother City!