Nine craft beers, small-batch Thursdays + a guide for beginners
The Company’s Garden Party Highlights
A selection of 15 hot reasons to attend this sizzling Cape Town summer soiree
Running from Friday, 14 to Monday, 24 December 2012 as part of the Cape Town Summer Market, The Company’s Garden Party is a fun, family-friendly alfresco affair centred on leisure, rejuvenation and replenishment. Set on the expansive manicured lawns of the Company’s Garden, one of Cape Town’s most historic, lush city centre parks, this 11-day festive season soiree invites Mother City dwellers and holiday tourists alike to relax in spectacular natural surroundings while enjoying some of the finer things in life: splendid views, top-notch draft beer, world-class wine, mouth-watering fare and ambient live music.
For those in need of a bit of a nudge to spend a lazy afternoon and evening (or four) at this laidback outdoor party, we’ve put together a selection of a few top reasons to make a visit below:
1. As it’s set amidst trees, shrubbery and waterways on the sprawling greens of the Company’s Garden (Cape Town’s answer to New York’s Central Park), this 11-day soiree affords visitors the opportunity to soak up the sights and sounds of this stunning (and often under-utilised) natural heritage site.
2. This laidback event marks the Mother City’s first proper beer garden that’s actually located in a garden (as the name suggests).
3. This is a family-friendly event and thus something great to do with the kids during their school holidays (all children must be accompanied by a legal guardian). What’s more, the little ones can be kept busy at the nearby kids’ play zone (there’ll be clowns, face painting and more) while the adults relax and unwind, glass of beer or bubbly in hand.
4. Alongside an assortment of popular mainstream brews, including Grolsch Premium Lager, Castle Lite and Peroni Nastro Azzurro, a limited but diverse selection of craft beers will be on offer, namely Boston Breweries’ Van Hunks Pumpkin Ale, Johnny Gold Weiss and Naked Mexican, and an India Pale Ale so new it doesn’t yet have an official name.
5. All beers are available on tap so as to ensure they’re as tasty, refreshing and cold as they come.
6. For those not so keen on lager and ale, a small assortment of white wine (more specifically Alvi’s Drift Sauvignon Blanc, Chardonnay and Viognier), Pimm’s and lemonade and two craft ciders (Everson’s Apple Cider and Everson’s Pear Cider) will also be on offer. In this way, the summer soiree caters to all palates.
7. Tasty local bubbly (more specifically Kumkani Infiniti MCC) will also be an option for those looking to add a celebratory twist to the occasion (plus, where better to enjoy sparkling wine than under azure open skies).
8. If guests work up an appetite, beer-centric gourmet food will be up for purchase. The selection includes mouth-watering steak rolls, authentic German sausages and delicious cheese and cold meat platters.
9. The Company’s Garden Party starts at 12pm and runs until 9pm every night so fair-goers can watch the sun set over Table Mountain and soak up Cape Town’s glorious summer evenings in a stunning botanical setting.
10. Live jazz music performed by talented local musicians – including gifted guitarist Errol Dyers, seasoned pianist Wathiq Hoosain, bass guitarist Mlungisi Gegana and big brass band the Little Giants – will set an upbeat tone for the party. Visitors can look forward to both a lunchtime set and a mid-afternoon set daily.
11. The Company’s Garden Party forms part of the Cape Town Summer Market, a large outdoor Christmas bazaar that takes up a large part of the gardens and boasts over 200 arts and crafts stalls. Hence, party-goers can also browse the stands and get some gift shopping done while there.
12. There are few better ways to make the most of Cape Town’s splendid summer than in the great outdoors with family, friends, fine food and drink.
13. Guests can easily pre-book tickets to the party and even reserve their own shaded table on the manicured lawns.
14. No marquee or tent will be present (umbrellas will provide shade) specifically so that guests can enjoy the warm sunshine and take in unobstructed views of the surrounding mountains, the treetops and the striking period architecture of the Iziko South African National Gallery (the party will take place on the greens just in front of this prominent building).
15. Attending this fun open-air affair, with all its various offerings, is not only a great way to ring in the start of the sunny holiday season but also to celebrate the magnificent, breathtaking character of the city of Cape Town.
Read more about The Company’s Garden Party in Cape Town.
Also, don’t forget to follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook, join our Google+ circle and check out our Pinterest boards for updates. Plus, subscribe to our weekly newsletter for news on what's happening in and around Cape Town.