Join the first of the official Rise Up events starting in Cape Town
Get the look: Funky Summer Curls
Curls are all the rage this summer, here’s an easy step by step guide to big hair in Cape Town
Adding wavy curls to your hair requires minimum effort and just a little styling. A ghd styler is a Cape Town girl’s best friend in creating the perfect summer look, from seaside to stilettos.
Here’s a couple of easy step by step guides from ghd, to make sure you keep up with Cape Town’s trendsetters in summer 2010/11. Have fun!
Creating the Summer Wave with ghd
To prepare the hair:
1. Use a ghd thermodynamics shampoo and conditioner for your specific hair type
2. Apply the ghd thermal protector spray specific for your hair type to towel dried hair
3. You can apply ghd obedience cream to fine hair or ghd smoothing balm to thicker coarser hair. This will smooth the hair down and give a bit more support.
4. Dry the hair, making sure you smooth it down using a ghd paddle brush
1. Once dry, apply ghd sea spray for that extra sultry matt summer wave.
2. Section the hair about 4cm, rotate your ghd styler to 180 degrees and pull through a 5cm section of hair and then at 360 degrees the opposite way
3. Repeat these steps to the ends of the section
4. Follow with a final spray of ghd ultimate hairspray to finish off the look.
Creating Candy Curls using ghd
To prepare the hair:
1. Use a ghd thermodynamics shampoo and conditioner for your hair type
2. Towel dry the hair and apply the ghd thermal protector spray for your hair type
3. Apply ghd obedience cream to fine hair or ghd smoothing balm to thicker coarser hair - this will smooth the hair and give a bit more support before blow drying.
1. Section the hair into small neat horizontal layers or sections spraying a fine mist of creation spray onto each section as you work and work the product in to the hair with fingers or a comb
Starting in the nape or neck area, smooth the root area only of each section of hair with a ghd IV styler before creating the curl
2. To create a Candy Curl, wrap a strand of hair around one or two fingers, depending on how tight you want the curl, starting at the root and wrapping it around the finger(s) until you reach the end of the strand. Do not worry to keep the end curled in if it does not stay.
3. Slip curl off the finger and you can either: clip in place with grip and repeat this process with each section of the entire head or follow step 4 below as you create each curl, whichever you find easier for you
4. Heat and press each curl with a ghd IV styler and repeat this process throughout the entire head
5. Remove clips and style. For a more dramatic catwalk look (pictured) you can rouge the curls by holding each strand at the ends and gently pushing the hair towards the root. The more you rouge the more dramatic the look. REMEMBER that this will NOT damage your hair as you are using your fingers!
Dressing & finishing:
Spray liberally with ghd reflection spray to smooth static and give a final shine. For extra hold use ghd ultimate hairspray to set the look.