House, cottage, tennis court, gym, pool + incredible views at an excellent special
Slangkop tented camp
Luxury camping in Kommetjie with SANParks
Each of the SANParks tented camps has a theme, and the lights made from whale bones (taken from a whale that had washed up on the beach) accompanied by the sound of the sea nearby leave no doubt about which element inspired this luxury tented camp. It’s in the popular seaside village of Kommetjie and you can see the Slangkop Lighthouse (one of the oldest in South Africa) from the camp. There’s a sheltered outdoor braai area with seating next to the fully equipped communal kitchen.
There are six tents which each sleep two people. The rounded tents can be zipped down at the back to offer a view of the surrounding fynbos or the beach and lighthouse. The campsite is linked up by beautifully built wooden walkways that aim to lighten the impact of the camp on the area. There are two communal ablution blocks – one with showers and the other with toilets.
Things to do
- The camp is one of the Hoerikwaggo Trail stops so you can do part of this great hike from the camp
- Bring your board along and hit the waves – Kommetjie is a popular surfing spot
- Fishing and cray-fishing can be done with permits
- You can go diving or snorkelling, or simply just walk along the beach and look out for the remains of shipwrecks
- Bring your bike and go cycling or mountain biking along the coastal route
Good to know
- You need your own bedding, pillows and towels
- There is secure parking right outside the camp
- The kitchen has a fridge, oven, stove and a dining table
- Bring bio-degradable soap to minimise your impact on the area
- Firewood, charcoal and lighters are provided at the camp
It costs R440 per tent per night with an additional charge of R220 per adult and R110 per child if they are going to share the tent as well. SANParks offers a 20% discount off accommodation in its Cape Town region parks in May, June and July.