3 ways to do it at Oasis: shop, donate or take your recycling there
10 Questions For: Muriel Marco
Argentinian-born Muriel Marco is a woman of many talents. Residing in Cape Town for the past twenty years, this keyboardist, singer and composer’s style ranges from Jazz and World to Alternative.
1. How would you describe what you do for a living?
I am a keyboardist, singer and composer. The styles I mainly focus on are World, Latin and Jazz although I also play pop. I also manage X Music Entertainment.
2. What is your most vivid childhood memory?
I have so many wonderful memories! Here are two: Swimming and collecting colourful stones in the wonderful rivers of Mina Clavero in Córdoba,, Argentina during summer and collecting mushrooms after the rain in a forest close to my house in Misiones, Argentina during winter. My mom would make soup with them that same night!
3. If you could invite any three people, dead or alive, for dinner, who would they be and why?
1. Ernesto ‘Che’ Guevara: He is one of my heroes. One who fought and died in his attempt to free South America from imperialism. I would talk to him about politics and his philosophical ideas in general.
2. Freddie Mercury: To get a grasp on his passion, compositional skills and performance energy.
3. Nikola Tesla: To get an understanding on his concept of free energy gathered from the ambient air.
4. If you ever found yourself auditioning for a music reality TV show, what song would you sing and why?
I would take the opportunity to sing an original composition. ‘Todo y nada’ (”Everything and Nothing”) will be my choice because it is one of my favourite songs and because I would like to share its lyrics with the public. This is a ballad - alternative style song that talks about the time and space where a memory, an aroma, a thought takes us. That split of a second where everything and nothing meets.
5. How would you complete this sentence? The South African cabinet should include a Minister of ________________
Innovation and Creative Practices.
6. What would you say is the biggest misconception about you?
That I am rigid and that I have a strong character. I am the opposite; I am very easy-going and can adapt to situations quite easily. I am though, very straight-forward and honest.
7. What is your (honest) opinion of Cape Town?
Cape Town is by far one of the most beautiful cities in the world. It is the only city I know that has such a wonderful balance of nature and city life. I love outdoor activities so I enjoy doing trails at Table Mountain, Kirstenbosch Gardens and Silvermine Nature Reserve or go running from Muizenberg to Kalk Bay. The choices of restaurants, malls, coffee shops and markets are also amazing in Cape Town.
8. What’s the greatest fear you’ve had to overcome to get where you are today?
To play Jazz, I have to improvise. I come from a classical background and it was a big challenge to train my ear and have the courage to improvise.
9. What’s the one thing you’d like to achieve before you die?
To be an integral part of the transformation of our society. I believe there is a necessity to shift towards self-sustainability through the advances of technology. There should not be any more energy, food and housing problems. I would like to see a world where everyone has the opportunity to follow their passion and their dreams to their full potential in a healthy environment.
10. Which well-known South African personality would you, without a doubt, be able to beat in a street fight and why?
I am a super-pacifist. So the fight has no chance to take place, but I would say Gareth Cliff. My dislike for him would give me the strength to beat him. Definitely.
CapeTownMagazine.com’s 10 Questions project gets to know some of the Mother City’s most creative and inspiring people. From television personalities and musicians to politicians and entrepreneurs, we find out more about well-known and up-and-coming Capetonians. You can follow #CapeTownMag10Q on Twitter and Facebook to track recent interviews or read more here about our other awesome 10 Questions candidates.
A FEW OF OUR OTHER 10Q CANDIDATES:
10 Questions For Cape Town YouTube Channel Pap Culture
10 Questions For Cape Town-based Actor Texas Battle
Check out our events section for an up-to-date overview of happenings in Cape Town. Also, don’t forget to subscribe to our newsletter and if you have a smartphone, add m.capetownmagazine.com to your home screen for quick access on the go!
Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook, join our Google+ circle, connect with us on LinkedIn, check out our photos on Instagram and follow our Pinterest boards for updates on what’s happening in and around the Mother City!