Check out the anti-serious wine pairing in the Western Cape with Polkadraai & Popcorn
10 Questions For: John Grundlingh
Meet Ultimate Braai Master Season 4 winner, John Grundlingh. Together with his braai partner Piet Marais they formed the winning team Weskus Annas and took home the Ultimate Braai Master title in 2015.
1. How would you describe what you do for a living?
I am the Project Manager for Granbuild in Cape Town. I do high-rise buildings during the week and braai and surf over the weekend. I’m also a SASSI/WWF Celebrity Ambassador and do a lot of charity braais and festivals. Furthermore, I inform people about sustainable fishing and only eating green-listed fish.
2. What is your most vivid childhood memory?
Making food with my mother, especially cooking pasta.
3. If you could invite any three people, dead or alive, for dinner, who would they be and why?
Jamie Oliver, Kelly Slater [professional surfer] and Penelope Cruz. I like watching Jamie’s fresh take on food and would like to personally meet him. Kelly Slater is my biggest inspiration in life (going for his 12th world surfing win) and I have always had a crush on Penelope since watching Vanilla Sky.
4. If you ever found yourself auditioning for a music reality TV show, what song would you sing and why?
John Mayer, ‘Waiting On The World To Change’. I just love this song and I know the words.
5. How would you complete this sentence? The South African cabinet should include a Minister of _________________________.
Braai! Just so that everyone can chill for a change!
6. What would you say is the biggest misconception about you?
People can’t believe that I won Ultimate Braai Master as a Project Manager, when actually just managing your heat and time on fire is the main difficulties of each challenge. So it helped me the most.
7. What is your (honest) opinion of Cape Town?
LOVE IT! Best place on earth and I have travelled the world, but nothing comes close to our beautiful city and really good waves.
8. What's the greatest fear you've had to overcome to get where you are today?
Losing my mom and best friend at an early age. I was still studying and paying for my own studies. It really made me a man at an early stage of my life and was very difficult.
9. What's the one thing you'd like to achieve before you die?
To complete my bucket list of surfing all the surf spots around the world I am doing well so far. And to win the World Food Championships! [World Food Championships is the largest competition in food sport. Champions from previous events around the world convene for a chance to win the ultimate food crown and a share of $300 000.]
10. Which well- known South African personality would you, without a doubt, be able to beat in a street fight and why?
Bobby van Jaarsveld. He spends too much time doing his hair every morning.
CapeTownMagazine.com’s 10 Questions project gets to know some of the Mother City’s most creative and inspiring people. From television personalities and musicians to politicians and entrepreneurs, we find out more about well-known and up-and-coming Capetonians. You can follow #CapeTownMag10Q on Twitter and Facebook to track recent interviews or read more here about our other awesome 10 Questions candidates.
A FEW OF OUR OTHER 10Q CANDIDATES:
10 Questions For Food Stylist Zola Nene
10 Questions For Ultimate Braai Master Host and Judge Justin Bonello
Check out our events section for an up-to-date overview of happenings in Cape Town. Also, don’t forget to subscribe to our newsletter and if you have a smartphone, add m.capetownmagazine.com to your home screen for quick access on the go!
Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook, join our Google+ circle, connect with us on LinkedIn, check out our photos on Instagram and follow our Pinterest boards for updates on what’s happening in and around the Mother City!