Esteemed opera singer Aviva Pelham recounts her mother’s fascinating tale of ...
TEDx Table Mountain 2012
Let’s talk about Table Mountain
TEDx Table Mountain 2012 is set to activate and inspire the minds of Capetonians on Sunday 27 May 2012 at the Fugard Theatre Studio. This once-off event focuses on addressing who we are and how we fit in with the Earth; it encourages attendees to come and share creative perspectives on the human vs. nature relationship.
What (or who) is TEDx
A non-profit organization, devoted to “Ideas Worth Spreading”, TED started as a four-day conference nearly 30 years ago and has grown to initiate multiple global projects centred on sustainable change. TEDx (x = independently organized event), is a locally organized subsidiary event of TED, and is also devoted to bringing people together to share ideas and instigate deep discussion.
The organisers have a line-up of expert speakers, to discuss the complexity of our connection with the earth we inhabit. Be sure to check out the digital exhibition of Instagrammers Cape Town (IGers CT) - works inspired by Table Mountain.
Line-up for TEDx Table Mountain includes:
- Michelle Graham
- Richard Jamieson
- John Parker
- David Le Page
- Philippa Namutebi Kabali-Kagwa
- Karen Goldberg
- Will Lawson
- IGers Cape Town
- Delphi Carstens
- Michele Twomey
- Bernedette Muthien
- Nicky Seymour
TEDx Table Mountain asks:
- What are the links between how we treat ourselves, each other, and all life on the planet we share?
- When we speak of sustainability, what are we hoping to sustain?
- What is it that differentiates humans from all other life on earth? And is this difference fundamental or a matter of degree? What separates us from Wildness?
- In search of security we have tamed our world, and in so doing have unwittingly harmed it. What will it take to bring about large-scale environmental restoration? And what is the place for the modern human within that dream?
- If we approach life with a kind of sensitivity, a sense of enough, a sense of reverence for everything, what influence does this have on our technologies, designs and avenues of entertainment?
“Like Table Mountain, we are connected even as we are divided, and our actions and thoughts shape the city which has nestled itself in the mountain’s protective folds.”
TEDx is an independently organised TED event.
Tickets are available through webtickets.co.za and cost R250 p/p. A light lunch will be served and a cash bar is available.