A picnic isn’t a picnic without family, friends and live music
Join our team
Apply to be a member of CapeTownMagazine.com!
Managing Editor & Content Strategy
Salary: Negotiable depending on experience
Education level: Degree
Job level: Management Snr
CapeTownMagazine.com, a leading online magazine about Cape Town that is proud to boast an extensive global and local following, is seeking to employ an exceptional and talented head of content and strategy. This is a full-time opportunity within a fast-paced, fast-growing independent online company that is outperforming corporate online media in both growth and social media.
The successful applicant and will be responsible for driving the editorial voice of the magazine and ensuring that our content is high quality, exciting, sharable and resonant.
The main areas of responsibilities will be to:
- together with the managing director, develop the strategic editorial direction of the magazine and its platforms (this includes all commercial and content marketing aspects) to grow the readership to 2 million readers per month.
- guide, manage, inspire and oversee the editorial team to ensure all the day-to-day content on all our channels is of high quality. In essence you’re responsible for getting over 600,000 people per month excited about making discoveries in and around the Mother City and inspired to head out and take action.
- contribute to the development of a new CapeTownMagazine.com and finding new innovative ways to present our content.
- Bachelor’s Degree in journalism or communication or CV that tops this.
- Proven track record of minimum two years of successfully managing an editorial team and collaborating with a marketing team in an online environment.
- Minimum five years of online (editorial) experience
- Extraordinary writing and editing skills with a good eye for detail
- Analytic management and systems skills that match the writing skills
- Sound knowledge of the online environment and content marketing
- An understanding of Google Analytics, SEO and social media (Facebook, Twitter, Google+, Instagram, Pinterest & Linkedin)
- Advantageous: basic knowledge of Photoshop and basic multimedia and video editing skills
In addition we need someone with
- the ability to meet deadlines and thrive in a dynamic and fast-paced environment
- has a professional, outgoing personality, positive attitude, great communication skills, excellent organisational skills,
- a love for online and the latest trends
- a ‘get the job done, whatever it takes’ mentality
- a willingness to work outside of the 9 to 5 norm
- an ability to work with a variety of personalities and inspire and motivate a range of different types of people
- a love and passion for leading, developing and growing others
- has a strong vision for how to grow the largest online magazine about Cape Town into one of the top 50 sites in South Africa
- passion for clever and reader/community content sourcing (google forms etc)
- strong drive and experience in analysis & growth of systems (cockpit & insights)
- content workflow systems such as insightly or other
- loves Cape Town and has their finger on the pulse of what’s hot and happening in our beautiful city.
The future’s looking beyond promising:
If you want to be on board for the ride, send us your CV and a cover letter. Please note that shortlisted candidates will be asked to send through writing samples and will have to complete writing and editing tests.
We will be delighted to send you our infographics so you can get a better understanding of CapeTownMagazine.com.
If interested, send your CV, a short letter of motivation to: