Be blown away by the sunset over the Atlantic Seaboard from an electric two-wheeler at half the price!
10 Questions For: Guy McDonald
This Cape Town-based radio presenter is certainly one punny Guy! When he isn’t thinking of witty phrases and comebacks, he spends his time as Magic 828 AM’s Breakfast Radio DJ.
1. How would you describe what you do for a living?
A wistful adventurer, master impersonator and of ceremonies, amateur photographer, frustrated actor, historical comedian, one or two time blogger, voice artist and currently employed as the Breakfast Radio DJ on Magic 828AM. So I do a lot of creative things with my mouth and sometimes with my pen.
2. What is your most vivid childhood memory?
Performing puppet shows behind the washing line for my beautiful grandmother. And sitting in a tree house talking into the end of a skipping rope that was connected to a real car battery imagining I was the main announcer at an agricultural show.
3. If you could invite any three people, dead or alive, for dinner, who would they be and why?
1. Nina Simone - So that she can sing to us during and after dinner.
2. Madiba (Nelson Mandela) - It was always my dream to meet him and absorb his views and values.
3. Barack Obama - So that I could ask him to sign something for my colleague, who LOVES him (possibly more than his wife). Haha...
4. If you ever found yourself auditioning for a music reality TV show, what song would you sing and why?
Having performed for “Bathroom Idols” at my previous radio station, I am acutely aware that my singing ability dropped with my…. at age 13!! So it would have to be a Frank Sinatra song, because he never really SANG, he just spoke his songs, and I would give ’My Way’ the justice it deserves.
5. How would you complete this sentence? The South African cabinet should include a Minister of ________________________
Puns. We need more constructive and relative speeches coming out of Govt. There’s too much aggression and not enough recognising of honorable members.
6. What would you say is the biggest misconception about you?
That I am fat, 6ft4 tall and balding. When in actual fact I’m fat, 5’7 and really, really, really ridiculously good looking! And humble. And I miss my Mom and Dad.
7. What is your (honest) opinion of Cape Town?
Cape Town is a melting pot of cultures, creeds, history, hipsters, briyani, nervous white people, ’Dala what you must’ coloured people, wealthy tanned foreigners and dreadlocked creatives. It really is the most creative, beautiful, sexy and scenic hub in South Africa. I am honoured to live here and have a local government that fixes potholes in under three days.
8. What’s the greatest fear you’ve had to overcome to get where you are today?
The fear of not being good enough to do what I believe I was born to do.
9. What’s the one thing you’d like to achieve before you die?
Have a six pack!!
10. Which well- known South African personality would you, without a doubt, be able to beat in a one-on- one dance-off and why?
Oscar Pistorius. Oh must I give a reason? Erm, because I think the only song he knows how to dance to is Jailhouse Rock?
CapeTownMagazine.com’s 10 Questions project gets to know some of the Mother City’s most creative and inspiring people. From television personalities and musicians to politicians and entrepreneurs, we find out more about well-known and up-and-coming Capetonians. You can follow #CapeTownMag10Q on Twitter and Facebook to track recent interviews or read more here about our other awesome 10 Questions candidates.
A FEW OF OUR OTHER 10Q CANDIDATES:
10 Questions For GoodHope FM Presenter Leigh-Anne Willams
10 Questions For Zip-Zap Circus School CEO Laurence Esteve
Check out our events section for an up-to-date overview of happenings in Cape Town. Also, don’t forget to subscribe to our newsletter and if you have a smartphone, add m.capetownmagazine.com to your home screen for quick access on the go!
Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook, join our Google+ circle, connect with us on LinkedIn, check out our photos on Instagram and follow our Pinterest boards for updates on what’s happening in and around the Mother City!