A line-up of top-class live music performances sure to brighten up frosty ...
The Celludroid Film Festival at the Labia Theatre
Out of this world sci-fi, fantasy and anime features to screen at Cape Town’s oldest cinema
The third chapter of the Celludroid Film Festival once again brings anime, sci-fi and fantasy films to geeks and comic book lovers alike at the Labia Theatre from Friday, 29 June to Thursday, 5 July 2012.
What to look out for
As part of the stellar line-up of features, short films, classics and documentaries looking to teleport you to another dimension, famed director Fritz Lang's 1927 silent futuristic classic, “Metropolis”, will be paired with a live performance by The Makabra Ensemble.
Aside from silver screen stories of far off planets and impossible quests, the Bloody Parchment literary section will also host a book launch on Wednesday, 27 June 2012, where Nerine Dorman's “Inkarna”, a novel of ancient Egyptian mythology and magic taking place in contemporary Cape Town, will debut at The Book Lounge.
And finally, not forgetting the all you comic book geeks, all your comic book, graphic novel, figurine and clothing needs will be catered for by Dark Carnival, a retail group committed to the comic world. What’s more, in the foyer of the Labia theatre on Saturday, 30 June 2012 graphic artists from the Velocity Graphic Novel Anthology, a collaboration between 31 SA and Australian artists will be available to sign your copy of the novel.
Celludroid festival film line-up:
Friday, 29 June
- 6:15 pm - PLAN 9 FROM OUTER SPACE
- 8:30 pm - IRON SKY African premiere (only one screening)
Saturday, 30 June
- 1:45 pm - UFOs 1973 - Aliens, Abductions & Extraordinary Sightings
- 4:00 pm - Technotise, Edit & I
- 6:15 pm - Celludroid Short Films Part 1, including world premiere of the SA film “There Are No Heroes
- 9:00 pm – Metropolis with live Makabra Ensemble soundtrack performance
Sunday, 1 July
- 1:45 Pm - The Seeker's Guide to Harry Potter
- 4:00 pm - Android Re-Enactment
- 6:15 pm - Celludroid Short Films Part 2
- 8:30 pm - Lunopolis
Monday, 2 July
- 4:00 pm - The Seeker's Guide to Harry Potter
- 6:15 pm - The Stone
- 8:30 pm - Secret Societies & Sacred Stones - From Mecca to Megaliths
Tuesday, 3 July
- 4:00 pm - Celludroid Short Films Part 1
- 6:15 pm - Android Re-Enactment
- 8:30 pm - Plan 9 From Outer Space
Wednesday, 4 July
- 4:00 pm - The Stone
- 6:15 pm – Lunopolis
- 8:30 pm - Technotise, Edit & I
Thursday, 5 July
- 4:00 Pm - Secret Societies & Sacred Stones - From Mecca to Megaliths
- 6:15 Pm - UFOs 1973 - Aliens, Abductions and Extraordinary Sightings
- 8:30 Pm - Celludroid Short Films Part 2
All tickets are R30p/p per show, except tickets for Metropolis, which are R45p/p. Bookings open Monday, 25 June 2012 at the Labia Theatre.
The Complete Metropolis - Official Trailer [HD]
Use our events section for an up-to-date overview of happenings in Cape Town. Also, don’t forget to follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook, join our Google+ circle and check out our Pinterest boards for updates.