Bringing country food to city tables every Saturday in Woodstock
10 top wedding venues in the winelands
Wedding planner Pam Gray talks about her favourite places to get married in the Cape Winelands
Wedding planner Pam Gray talks about her favourite places to get married in the Cape Winelands
Are you as in love with the Cape Winelands as you are with your betrothed? If you are engaged, looking for a place to get married just outside of Cape Town, and have been swooned by the rolling vineyards and sweeping vistas of the surrounding wine region, then, you should certainly consider choosing a wedding venue in Stellenbosch, Franschhoek, Paarl or Somerset West.
There are plenty of options, and so you can get some ideas, we’ve put together a unique Winelands wedding venue overview with the help of expert and planner Pam Gray from Affinity, a wedding planning events company in the Mother City.
WEDDING VENUES IN THE CAPE WINELANDS
Morgenhof Wine Estate
Get married amidst the enchanting Cape Dutch architecture, gorgeous gardens and rolling vineyards of Morgenhof Wine Estate. Not just a lovely venue for a wedding ceremony though, the estate’s experienced staff is well-prepared to advise you on menu options, florists, photographers, decorators, and more. Once you have decided on a package – there’s a diverse assortment to choose from - you’re free to enjoy the Morgenhof wines and fare on your special day. The large Morgenhof chapel can accommodate up to 130 guests while, if you’re looking for a more intimate venue, the smaller chapel - with a natural stone floor - named “The Perdestal” - can seat up to 60 guests.
- Pam says: “This venue has a large chapel and a small, cobbled one which was once a stable. I love this little chapel when lit with candles and filled with flowers. There are two reception rooms, one larger one and a small one that looks into the cellar, which is lit by small spotlights. A truly romantic venue all in all.”
Klapmuts Road, R44 | Stellenbosch | +27 (0)21 889 5510 | www.morgenhof.com
Backsberg Estate offers both an indoor ceremony venue as well as a garden ceremony venue. The Vat Cellar, which is known for its truly authentic Winelands-style feel, is the option for indoor weddings and boasts an impressive wide brick aisle between huge oak fermentation barrels. There are a number of options for garden ceremonies, from a choice of lawns laced with magnificent views to beautiful gardens offering exclusive privacy. The venue also offers kosher wines.
- Pam says: “This is one of the prettiest wedding venues in the Cape Winelands, boasting a magnificent lawn with views to die for. The function room Neville's Place can accommodate between 50-200 guests. Backsberg is situated between Paarl, Stellenbosch and Franschhoek.”
Simondium Road | Paarl | +27 (0)21 875 5141 | www.backsberg.co.za
Cultivar Guest Lodge
Just 7km outside the beautiful town of Stellenbosch in the heart of the Cape Winelands region, the Cultivar Guest House is as affordable as it is breathtaking. Nestled between the majestic mountains and rolling hills of the wine region and described as, “heaven on earth”, the wedding venue boasts spectacular views of the underlying valley surrounded by vineyards and streams.
- Pam says:“This attractive venue is definitely very well priced and has the capacity to accommodate for more than 120 guests; it also has a dance floor. There is ample accommodation for guests.”
Bonniemile Road, off M12 | Stellenbosch | +27 (0)21 881 3081 | www.culti-var.co.za
In the Vineyard
Lauded for its homely feel and effortless beauty, In the Vineyard is a huddle of cottages situated on a small family-owned vineyard at the foot of the Simonsberg mountain. Wedding guests can experience the vibe of a working farm while still enjoying the serenity and the peace of the surrounding nature. Though only a 45-minute drive from the city of Cape Town, In the Vineyard is the perfect hidden venue in which to tie the knot, escape the bustle of urban life and relax in a ‘home away from home’.
- Pam says: “Set at the foot of the Helderberg mountains you will find this most unusual boutique venue with a thatched roof and glass windows around half of the room. There is a lovely green garden to hold the ceremony and the reception venue leads out to a stunning patio. I like this venue as it is so different and elegant.”
Corner R44 & Klein Helderberg Road | Stellenbosch | +27 (0)21 855 1984 | www.inthevineyard.co.za
A perfect balance of romance and tradition, Clouds Estate is perched at the crest of Helshoogte Pass: say your "I dos" with the Cape’s most beautiful scenery stretching out below - your wedding photographer will be certainly be spoilt for choice. The guesthouse and cottages can accommodate the family, bridal party and groomsmen, and for those who don’t want to drive back to Cape Town, Stellenbosch has accommodation options to suit every pocket.
- Pam says: “You couldn't ask for a more magnificent setting – overlooking the Franschhoek Valley, it is a stunning venue for a small to medium size wedding. There is accommodation in the form of suites and self-catering units.”
Helshoogte Road | Stellenbosch | + 27 (0)21 885 1819 | www.cloudsestate.com
Zeevenwacht, with its 300 year history and rich heritage, has two enchanting spaces where brides and grooms can exchange their vows. The large, thatched alfresco space is ideal for unforgettable, larger weddings; it’s a well-equipped, versatile venue suitable for 80 to 200 guests. While, the Lapa, also a stunning setting apt to make for a memorable day, is set in a wooded glade above the lake; this outdoor thatched venue provides a charming, yet informal venue for up to 60 guests.
- Pam says: “A historic venue overlooking a beautiful lake. At this working wine estate there is more than one venue to choose from and a lovely ‘lapa’ next to the lake.”
Langverwacht Road | Kuils River | +27 (0)21 903 5123 | www.zevenwacht.co.za
Billed by many former brides and grooms-to-be as a ‘dream wedding location’, this quaint venue is a sanctuary replete with stunning views and lavish surroundings. Well-experienced in the art of wedding hosting, Bakenhof offers a variety of wedding packages, namely the “Weddingmoon” package, the “Daytime Romance” package, the “Vineyard Village” package and the “Weekend” option, all of which include unique qualities to suit each unique couple. What’s more, they also offer pre-wedding bridal packages created to ensure every woman’s fairytale day.
- Pam says: “Although this is a relatively small venue - accommodating a maximum of 100 guests - it is different to any other. Situated near Wellington, this newly renovated wedding venue has the most amazing lighting on the ceilings, like stars in the night sky. The function rooms are both very unusual and out of the ordinary. This sets this venue apart from others. And, the views over the vineyards go on forever.”
R45 Road to Malmesbury | Wellington | + 27 (0)21 864 3774 | www.bakenhof.co.za
The magical Hathersage Farm makes for a charming venue to host a wedding, especially as the property provides couples the option of tailor-making a creative package according to a proposed budget. The wedding venue offers catering, full bar facilities, Bedouin tents, a sound system and more.
- Pam says: “Situated in Somerset West at the foothills of the Helderberg mountains, Hathersage offers a magnificent garden with lots of little hidden romantic spots and boasts age old Camphor trees. The reception venue is part indoors and leads to a massive veranda, this is very beautiful especially when lit at night and looks out onto the moonlit garden.”
Gordon Road | Somerset West | +27 (0)21 851 1644 | www.hathersage.co.za
Combining original Cape-Dutch architecture with carefully constructed modern conveniences, Leipzig House can accommodate both large and small groups. With their sincere appreciation of history and a love for restoration, the Smit family (the farm’s owners), together with the artist couple Anastasia and Alexander Lochenkov, have carefully and patiently created an old-village atmosphere on this 200-year old working wine farm. Weddings are celebrated in the estate’s historic wine cellar, which can accommodate up to 120 people and which includes a dance floor, and can include use of the farm’s tranquil outdoor gardens. In short, the betrothed can look forward to an ideal, old-school romantic feel.
- Pam says: “Don’t forget Leipzig House.”
Worcester Wine Route | Between Worcester and Robertson | +27 (0)23 347 8422 | www.leipzigcountryhouse.co.za
Lalapanzi is surrounded by 600ha of vineyards, forest and fynbos, and rests 330m above sea level. Guests at Lalapanzi can enjoy peace and tranquility, stunning views and breathtaking natural beauty with the convenience of being close to the facilities of Somerset West. The venue boasts stunning views across False Bay and Cape Point and is situated on a secure country estate only 10 minutes from the beach, 20 minutes from Stellenbosch, 35 minutes from Cape Town International Airport and 50 minutes from Cape Town city centre. It is the venue where convenience meets beauty, tinted with the hue of romance.
- Pam says: “This is the perfect venue for small weddings!”
Wedderwill Estate | Sir Lowry's Pass | +27 (0)21 858 1982 | www.lalapanzilodge.co.za
Use our events section and don't forget to subscribe to our newsletter for an up-to-date overview of happenings in Cape Town. Also, don’t forget to follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook, join our Google+ circle and check out our Pinterest boards for updates.