Join the fun in the Cape Winelands in aid of children with disabilities
Smitswinkel tented camp
Sleep under the trees
Smitswinkel is the newest tented camp for SANParks and is located approximately 300m from the Cape of Good Hope entrance gate. The environmental friendly camp ties in with SANParks‘s accommodation concept: 'Touching the earth lightly'. Here you won’t find heavy structures, nor treated woods, Smitswinkel has been constructed entirely from locally harvested and milled timber, with a minimum impact design. Interestingly, Smitswinkel was previously a forestry station.
The camp provides six tent huts, each with two single beds, an en-suite bathroom and an outside kitchenette. Family-friendly Smitswinkel sleeps a maximum of 12 people. The communal dining and braai area is fully equipped for self-catering (check out the gum tree seed lampshades).
Things to do
- Simply relax
- From here both short and long hikes are possible, especially recommended around the Cape of Good Hope area, try the hike from Smitswinkel to Simon’s Town
- Go for drives, angling, picnicking, beaching and cycling
- Relax in Smitswinkel’s indigenous garden and gum plantations
- Watch and listen to the animals that call the mountain home: klipspringer, gemsbok, porcupine, and many more.
Good to know
- You need to bring your own bedding and towels
- It’s fully wheelchair accessible
- Smitswinkel is solar-powered
- There’s secure parking
- There’s firewood for sale at the camp
- Between May and July you get 20% off the rate
It's R550 per tent per night with an additional charge of R275 for extra adults and R137.5 for extra children that will also be staying in the tents. SANParks offers a 20% discount off accommodation in its Cape Town region parks in May, June and July.